mcts: Which one to start first? RRS feed

• Question

• HI guys,

I am a desktop support technician with MCDST and I like to move towards network subject.
    I reilize MCSE is retiring soon and MCTS is available now. however I need you to tell me which subject I should start from since too many cert. listed under MCTS.

thanks
    Jamal
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:48 PM

Answers

• Well...the MCSE isn't being retired soon.  To clarify, the courses for the MCSE 2000 were retired last year, however, the MCSE 2003 certification is still valid.

That being said, if your looking to learn more about, and become certified in Server 2008, then the 70-640 (Actve Directory) or 70-642 (Network Infrastructure) might be certifications to look at.  If you have limited knowledge about networking or servers, take a look at CompTIA's Net+ and Server+ certifications.  They'll give you a foundational understanding of these areas.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jamal

Since you would like to move toward network subjects, I would suggest starting with: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration

MCSE has been replaced by MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, I would recommend MCITP as your goal.

You can also upgrade your MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, by just writing one exam.
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS, MCBMSS, MCBMSP, MCT
    • Proposed as answer by Mervyn Aram King Friday, April 24, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cemal Friday, April 24, 2009 6:32 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Jamal

You can do exam 70-621 and that will get you MCITP Enterprise Support Technician and the MCTS Vista. There are plenty of resources out there and its a good way to update your skills to the new certiication path with just 1 exam

If you plan to continute after that you can look at the MCITP Server Administrator which is a 3 exam certification.

MCP,MCAD,MCSD.NET,MCTS*7,MCPD*3,MCITP*2,MCDBA Blog: http://certsandprogs.blogspot.com
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Well...the MCSE isn't being retired soon.  To clarify, the courses for the MCSE 2000 were retired last year, however, the MCSE 2003 certification is still valid.

That being said, if your looking to learn more about, and become certified in Server 2008, then the 70-640 (Actve Directory) or 70-642 (Network Infrastructure) might be certifications to look at.  If you have limited knowledge about networking or servers, take a look at CompTIA's Net+ and Server+ certifications.  They'll give you a foundational understanding of these areas.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Jamal

Since you would like to move toward network subjects, I would suggest starting with: MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration

MCSE has been replaced by MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, I would recommend MCITP as your goal.

You can also upgrade your MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, by just writing one exam.
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS, MCBMSS, MCBMSP, MCT
    • Proposed as answer by Mervyn Aram King Friday, April 24, 2009 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cemal Friday, April 24, 2009 6:32 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Very true Charles.
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, Consumer Support Technician
    MCTS: Windows Vista - Configuration,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+

The I.T. Classroom Blog
    Start. Research. Plan. Perform. Finish. Test. Evaluate.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Hi Charles,

I wanted to keep working on Microsoft Certification only because I thought if I go to CompTia I will have to come back to microsoft still take the same class to get to MCSE level certificate.

I could be wrong too. I thought there is a class and certificate that I can take with Microsoft?

Thanks
    Friday, April 24, 2009 7:32 PM
  • The reason I suggested the CompTIA Net+ or Server+ is that if you don't know jack about networking, either of these would give you the basic understanding to move towards either the MCSE or MCITP.  Check the course descriptions for Net+ and/or Server+ to see if your familiar with the concepts.  If you are, then move towards the MCSI or MCITP.

Personally, I took the Net+ some 7 years ago, and I still remember and use many of the concepts I learned.  which has come in handy studying for the 70-642 and 70-640 exam.

Since you're just starting out, I'd strongly recommend you consider learning Server 2008 (MCTS/MCITP) over MCSA/MCSE.  The reason being is that if you're not currently working in a server 2003 environment, it honestly makes more sense to learn the latest technology.  If you were currently responsible for handling servers running Server 2003, that'd be a different issue.

Trust the above is clear.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:18 PM
    Answerer