how much storage space client pc needs to backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

After build my WHS I get stucked backing up my W7 laptop: not enough storage space...

It has an 80GB SSD; windows sees 25,4 GB of free space on drive C of 64GB (it has 2 more partitions, windows system and a PQSERVICE (believe it's laptop rescue partition)).

I have connected and external drive, but WHS seems not able to use it...

Please what should be my strategy (of course I do not want to delete any programs or (small) data on the laptop!)

thks in advance

• Edited by lrluz Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:11 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:07 PM

All replies

• You don't say anything about your Server - what is its configuration/what disks do you have?

During installation, WHS will use the first disk for the OS and use the rest of the space for storage. If you have another disk attached, you will need to use the Dashboard to move the location of the shared folders (which can include the Client PC backup folder) to the other drive. For storage you should be using an internally connected disk and use external disks for Server backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:23 PM
  • sorry, you're right!

currently the WHS has a 160 GB hdd for OS and a 2 TB for data.

unfortunatelly, just confirm that the pcs client backup folder is in the OS drive. Of corse I will move the backup folder.......

nevertheless, the reason for the unsucessufuly laptop backup was the lack of space in the client, not in the server. well, at least it's my interpertation as backup details: "backup cannot save a snapshot of the volumes on this computer because the computer does not have enouth space"

shall I left out of the backup the restore partition? I do not have a clue of the space needs for the laptop backup, both in the server and client.

LL
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:13 PM
  • It's likely to be because the Windows system reserved partition is too full. As for what you can do about it, start with a search in this forum, because the subject has come up before.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:30 AM
  • update

after searching a little more here in the forum, it seems that the W7 system reserved partition is to be blamed... although in my case that partition has 42MB free of the 100MB.

nevertheless, after moving the backup folder in the server to the 2TB disk and remove the recovery partition of the laptop from the backup, it turned out sucessfull.

hopefully, with WHS backup, I would't need the recovery partition of the laptop. Problably a could delete it, right?

LL
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:33 PM
  • NO.

The "System Reserved" partition, created by Windows 7 at install, and a laptop "recovery partition" are two totally different things. The former is needed by windows 7 to boot (unless W7 was installed on a previously partitioned drive in which case the files needed to boot are on the C: drive). The second is a partition created by the laptop manufacturer to allow a system restored to its original state.

Not backing up the "System Reserved" partition will make a system restore from WHS prone to failure (system will not boot) without additional work.

Did you try backing up the system including the System Reserved partition after moving the backup location to your 2TB drive?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:49 PM
  • @ Phil

Yes, I backed up both "System Reserve" partition and C: to the 2TB drive on the server. What I left out of the backup was the "recovery partition".

I believe my problem was not enough space on the "recovery partition", in fact that partition is full. The System Restore partition has 70 MB free (not 40 as I stated).

My question now is why do I need the recovery partition for: yes I know what it´s for, but what´s the point having 10GB used if I trust the WHS for the system recovery?

LL
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Agreed. I got rid of the system recovery partition on my Dell laptop when I upgraded to an SSD.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:29 PM