Can WHS be used as a poor man's NAS? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to add an additional harddrive to my WHS and then access it from local network? I realize, I could use a shared folder as a destination, but if I just add the drive to WHS, then it will probably get used for backups as well. I am talking about an independant drive not used for backups.

Thanks,

Mike - 1064091
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:21 AM

Answers

• It's possible to connect a drive to your server without using it in the storage pool, and manually create a share on it. You would do so exactly like you would with any other Windows PC. However, doing so is not supported, and I'm honestly not clear why you would want to. Such a share would be unable to participate in any of the Windows Home Server features.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:48 AM

All replies

• It's possible to connect a drive to your server without using it in the storage pool, and manually create a share on it. You would do so exactly like you would with any other Windows PC. However, doing so is not supported, and I'm honestly not clear why you would want to. Such a share would be unable to participate in any of the Windows Home Server features.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Yea, it can be done just like Ken said.  I have a 120gb external drive setup that way just for my wife's teaching documents.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:14 PM