none
"Off Route" RRS feed

• Question

• On my first trip using S&T2011 we were traveling north on US 65 near the Arkansas/Missouri border when she said "Off Route" "Calculating new route".  I looked at the map and she thought I was off in the woods several miles east of US65.  She calculated a new route to get me back from where she thought I was.  When I didn't turn when she told me to she said "Off Route" "Calculating new route".  This repeated several times for about five miles and then she suddenly found me again on US 65 where I'd been all along.  The sky was clear, no trees, no indication the the receiver had lost the birds.  Is this a common problem with this system?

Bill

Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

I wouldn't say this is a "common problem with this system". What you have described usually indicates insufficiently good lock on enough satellites in various locations in the sky.

Where in your vehicle was the GPS unit located? Did it have good view in many different directions? Was the unit placed facing the correct way up? The Microsoft logo should be facing up because that's where the antenna is.

The following discussion may also help: What can interfere with GPS signal?

Laptop GPS World
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:57 AM
  • The GPS was right side up on the dash board near the windshield using the supplied USB extension.  This is where it had been for the entire trip and there were no trees, mountains, etc. along this section of highway that would have degraded the signal.  I was traveling north before, during, and after the episode. I couldn't read the note in the lower left corner of the screen from the driver's seat, but I had my wife look and it said that it was receiving either 5 or 9 satellites, I don't remember which.

Bill

bsimonds
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:30 PM