Swapping WHS Data to a new WHS System. Hope to do it today! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm brain dead tonight and could use some help.

I've been running WHS since the original beta on a tired, old spare system that takes up too much room and makes too nuch noise. Faithful as it's been, it needs to retire. I've purchased an Acer WHS box that's 1/4th the size. It has lots of lights so it must be good :-)

The current system:
    Two internal drives, both small. C is 189 MB and D is 76. They gotta go.
    I also have 3 external USB drives, 250 MB each. I back up 4 systems and stash a lot of music so about 52% total storage is used.

The new system:
    1 internal drive: 1.5 TB. 3 empty hot-swapable slots. If I add the USB drives it'll top out about 2.25 TB. I'd rather get everything on the 1.5 TB, use the USB's elsewhere and throw in a couple 2 TB drives into the internal slots a bit down the road.
    It comes with a new WHS DVD so reactivation is not an issue.

I want to retire the old system but get the data first onto the new one before I trash it. Now, I could put the USB drives on the new system and then "remove" them one-by-one and that would put the data on the 1.5 TB?

I can copy the shares from Old to New but does that transfer the last 6 months of backups?

Anyone got a slick way of pulling this off that my foogy head can't see right now?

I'll send you a virtual case of your vfavorite beer :-)

MrCourtney

Courtney Harrington
    Friday, May 14, 2010 8:26 AM

Answers

• By design, the backup database is sacrificial, since you have your home computers to back up again. There's an add-in called Backup DataBase Backup, or BDBB, that will allow you to back the database up and restore it, if there's information that's important to you in the database. My suggestion, though, is to not worry about it.

As for the shares, no, just moving drives from server to server won't move your data the way you want. The supported migration option is to copy from Share X on your old server to the same share on your new server. Another possibility, though unsupported, is to move a drive to your new server then, before adding it to the storage pool, log in to your server via Remote Desktop and copy from the drive to the shares. Then add the drive to server storage. See this FAQ for information on where to find the data on the old drive, and note that you shouldn't copy files into D:\Shares\etc. directly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Courtney123 Friday, May 14, 2010 5:17 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:14 PM

All replies

• By design, the backup database is sacrificial, since you have your home computers to back up again. There's an add-in called Backup DataBase Backup, or BDBB, that will allow you to back the database up and restore it, if there's information that's important to you in the database. My suggestion, though, is to not worry about it.

As for the shares, no, just moving drives from server to server won't move your data the way you want. The supported migration option is to copy from Share X on your old server to the same share on your new server. Another possibility, though unsupported, is to move a drive to your new server then, before adding it to the storage pool, log in to your server via Remote Desktop and copy from the drive to the shares. Then add the drive to server storage. See this FAQ for information on where to find the data on the old drive, and note that you shouldn't copy files into D:\Shares\etc. directly.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Courtney123 Friday, May 14, 2010 5:17 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Your backup files are on the D drive in the Folders area.  They are compressed and will show only encrypted names.  You could try to copy them over the the Folders area on your new system's D drive.
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:42 AM