I am in upgrade Hell! Vista Home Ed to Ultimate...... RRS feed

• Question

• In fact, I have a case number from Microsoft (1057202350)  for my current problem - but I am not very happy with the resolution because it simply prolongs my dilema.

I purchased a Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade at Staples last summer and attempted to install it on an old Gateway computer only to find out the computer did not meet the minimum requirements for memory - the install was cancelled and I 'shelved' my new software knowing that I would be acquiring a new computer later in the year and would possibly be use it again.

Well, I purchased a a new HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n Desktop this past fall that came with Windows Vista Home Edition pre-installed and decided to go ahead and upgrade it with the Ultimate Upgrade I had previously purchased (I needed the Windows Fax feature that was mysteriously not included in the Home Edition).

To put it mildly - the Window Vista Upgrade I had paid $259 SIMPLY COULD NOT BE INSTALLED ON MY NEW HP WITH THE HOME EDITION.  I wasted the better part of a week - at least an hour at a time - going through a series of upgrade attempts only to be 'kicked out' at the end with the pop up message 'your attempt to upgrade has failed, your previous version of Windows will be restored, please attempt upgrade later'!  Drove me batty!  At one point I even somehow managed to accidently zap the hard drive on my computer that required me to overnight Recovery Disks from HP. The week before Christmas, I recovered my computer, reinstalled all my old software and programs (lost six months of emails), and finally managed to upgrade to Vista Ultimate by performing a clean install.  I learned about the clean install on this very site.  There are also instructions on the back of the box indicating that the upgrade may require a clean install.

Well, one month to the day (this past Monday Jan 28th, 2008), I turn on my computer, the activation window appears, I enter my Product Key (five times) and get the error code above.  However, now I was locked entirely out of my computer with the exception of being directed to Microsoft's website instructing me to PURCHASE A VALID PRODUCT KEY!

Well, I finally managed to call Microsoft Support directly and discovered that I had essentially activated a 30-day trial of Vista Ultimate and that the trial period had expired - my Windows Ultimate Upgrade was not installed correctly. Right now as I am typing this memo, I am operating under a 2nd 30-day trial period established during my support call!  Their instructions were to recover my HP back to its out-of-box configuration and to perform the upgrade again as instructed without doing a clean install - before the trial period expires a second time! 

This solution is simply not acceptable!  I spent the better part of a week in early December attempting to upgrade to Ultimate and Microsoft is telling me I have to go through this fruitless process again!!?? During why phone call with Microsoft, they managed to verify that MY COPY IS VALID by matching the Product Key I gave them over the phone with a serial number on the inner ring of the Upgrade Disk itself. 

WHY AM I BEING ASKED TO GO THROUGH UPGRADE HELL AGAIN WHEN I KNOW IT WILL NOT WORK!  IF MICROSOFT HAS VERIFIED THAT MY VISTA ULTIMATE UPGRADE AS VALID, WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT SIMPLY EMAIL ME A NEW PRODUCT KEY AND ALLOW ME TO ACTIVATE MY SOFTWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO WASTE ANOTHER WEEK OF MY TIME WITHOUT ANY ASSURANCE THAT THE UPGRADE WILL WORK!  ALL THAT I NEED IS AN ACCEPTABLE PRODUCT KEY!

I need either a resolution ASAP or an R/A that will premit me to obtain a refund from Staples!  Would someone please contact me with a legimate resolution to my problem?  Thank you.

Richard Bell

Tupelo MS

rbell@benpay.com

Product Key

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Scooter,

OK, I have escalated this to PSS. They tell me the turnaround time may be up to 24hrs so I think you can expect the call back on Friday.

Darin

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:43 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you follow the advice offered by the Microsoft Support professional.

"Their instructions were to recover my HP back to its out-of-box configuration and to perform the upgrade again".

How to install Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Otherwise, return your upgrade version of Windows Vista and then purchase a "Full Licensed Version" of Windows Vista.

Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Hi Scooter,

Before you follow Carey's suggestion, I would very much like a crack at resolving your issue, but I need additioal information. Would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2773790&SiteID=25 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I just received your email this morning and have a full schedule for the day.  As soon as I am able, I will do as you instructed and get back with the information.

We own a small insurance agency here in Tupelo that has always had about 4-6 computers.  By default, I suppose you might say that I am the company's system's manager.  I have used Microsoft's products since the mid-90s including countless upgrades and installs (Windows, Offiice, etc, etc).  Never, never have I ever had the problems before that I have had with this particular upgrade.  Before, all I ever had to do is pop in the disk, follow the menu, type in the product key, and presto!  Its installed. I can halfway understand (though not really) havin a glitch or two with an older computer that may have faulty hardware (lack of memory) or laced with virus', by I was attempting to upgrade a brabd new computer with Vist HE already installed.

One last question:  If Microsoft has already verified the validity of my copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade as I mentioned before, why can't they simply issued me a valid product key either via email or phone call.  It seems senseless making a customer repeat all this wortk again.

Again, appreciate your reply,

Richard Bell

Tupelo MS

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x8004fe93
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6CDQM-RV23K-RP8F7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 7VrYSubZ86JPxkAAnCqEelHYZa4=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-014-0000025-71519
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {24BBDEBC-47D4-4DD7-82B1-1AFBE56058DE}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3_E2AD56EA-337-8009_E2AD56EA-338-2f0d_16E0B333-80-80004005_B4D0AA8B-911-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{24BBDEBC-47D4-4DD7-82B1-1AFBE56058DE}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RP8F7</PKey><PID>89580-014-0000025-71519</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3158340393-2675470162-2013559277</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP-Pavilion</Manufacturer><Model>GC665AA-ABA s3120n</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version> 5.04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070417000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D7323507018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-CPC</OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>22CC2C32912A70C</Val><Hash>SaYrzae0GKfg4A5suQyVctjdiwY=</Hash><Pid>81605-902-0010893-65803</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Hi scooter2,

First off, regarding your issue with upgrading from a pre-installed version of Vista, I wanted to tell you that we at least 3 people in my office) feel your pain as the exact same thing has happened to us. It is very frustrating. And to be honest, I have not yet heard of a workaround, but if it has happened to 3 of us here, I'm sure it has happened to other people in Microsoft. Given the frustration it causes for Microsoft employees and Customers, I can't imagine the issue not being fixed...most likely in SP1.  But that won't do you any good, so lets see if we can't resolve your issue now.

From your Diagnostic Report I see that Vista currently has the Default product key installed.

When installing Vista, users have the option to either enter their Product key then or to proceed wth a "Keyless" install and since all Vista DVDs include all versions of Vista:

1) If the user enters a Product Key, the Vista Installer knows (from the Product Key) which version of Vista to install.

2) If the user decides not to enter a Product Key at install, the Vista Installer does not know which Version of Vista to install, therefore it asks the user to choose the version to be installed. At this point, Vista uses it's own Default Product key that allows a trial period.

To convert a copy of Vista that is using the Default key to a copy using a Valid key, the user must use the "Change Product Key" link (found in the Control Panel > System folder) the The Product Key that is entered Must be a Valid key for the Version currently installed.  (i.e. If the user choose the Home Pro version of Vista to be installed, but tries to Change Product Keys using a Home Basic key, it will not work)

My suggestions for your specific case is (Note: you may have already tried some of my suggestions, but I am including them all, just in case):

Change Product Key (normal way) 

1) Click the Start button

2) Right-click  Computer and select Properties

3) Click "Change Product Key"

4) Enter the Product Key from your Vista Upgrade box (confirm on the box that the key is for Ultimate)

5) Follow the steps provided.

6) When asked to Activate try over the Internet, if you receive any error, Activate by Phone

Chang Product Key (advanced)

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3) Type in the Product key from the Vista Upgrade box

4) Click the Next button.

5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and may return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7) Click the Start button

8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep.

Change Product Key (command line)

1) Click on the Start Button and type: CMD

2) CMD.exe will show in the search results

3) Right-click CMD.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

4) In the administrator command prompt, type in slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

5) Press Enter

6) follow activation steps 8-10 above.

I have talked with my Dev team and if Vista is not allowing you to Change your Product Key to the Vista Ultimate Upgrade key, they say there may be an issue that (for some reason) your Vista will only allow the Upgrade key to be use during an actual upgrade (not a clean install). This is, of course, is not the way it should work, but they do say it is a possibility.

So they suggest that you try upgrading again, but not in the way Tech Support suggested. What we want you to try is to upgrade to Vista Ultimate from your current install of Vista Ultimate and during this "re-upgrade" Vista will ask for a product key. Enter the Product Key from your Vista Upgrade box.  Vista should successfully upgrade using your Vista Ultimate Upgrade key and then all you need to do is Activate either over the Internet or by Phone (whichever works).

I hope this works out for you and I am very sorry for any frustration and inconvenience this may have caused you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager 

Saturday, February 2, 2008 12:17 AM
  • for my Ultimate Upgrade delima.  I have a full schedule this week.  Don't know when I'll get to it, probably this weekend.  One thing for sure, I have only to the 29th or I am screwed!  Thanks for your reply!

ReBell

Tupelo MS

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:41 PM
  • Hi Scooter,

Please keep me posted!

And no, you won't be screwed, I'm be working with you until we come to a resolution that works for you and I'm not going anywere.

Darin

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:09 PM
  • and just finished the fourth - attempting to upgrade 'on top' of my non-activated Vista Ultimate .  Did not work.  The program ran through the upgrade sequence just it had done the very first time I attempted to upgrade from Vista HE.  The computer then automatically restarted upon completion, but popped up the window "installation failed, you will be returned to your previous version of Windows" just as it had all along.

The first three suggestions ended with the pop up error code 0xC004F061; Description: "The software licensing service determined that this specific product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installation".

At this point I am almost where I am prepared to start all over, i.e., recover my computer to its out-of-box config and attempt the traditional upgrade again (as opposed to a clean install). 

However, I already spent a week's time in early November attempting the tradfitional upgrade for about a week without any success.  Only upon coming to this forum did I even learn the term 'Clean Install". Curiously, there are instructions scripted on the reverse side of the product's box that a clean install must be performed! 

It is frustrating to know that my computer is running fine right now - with the Ultimate upgrade installed - excepting for the fact that I am unable to activate because it will not recognize my Product Key and then again, realizing I will eventually be locked out of my computer on Feb 29th.  Why can't Microsoft simply generate an acceptable product that I may use?

ReBell

Tupelo MS

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:16 PM
  • nm

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Hi Scooter,

Just to summarize: You have a computer that had Vista Home pre-installed, you attempted to upgrade to Vista Ultimate but just as the upgrade completes, you get an error and the Upgrade rolls back to the original Vista Home.

You then tried a clean install (not an upgrade) to Vista Ultimate, but you either didn't enter the Upgrade Product key during the clean install or Vista would accept the key during the install. because of this Vista did a full install and used it's default product key used when no valid product key is entered at install. The default product key will only allow 30 days untill a valid key needs to be entered.

You are unable to Change the Product key to the Upgrade Product key because it is an upgrade key and the Vista installed on you computer is a full version (because of the way the clean install was done).

You tried to (re)upgrade on top of the (trial) full version of Vista Ultimate, and use the upgrade product key during the (re)upgrade, but at the end of the install you received an error and it rolled back to the (trial) full version of Vista Ultimate.

My area specialty is with Vista Licensing and Tamper issue. So at this point, I am at the limits of my knowledge in how to troubleshoot your issue.

There is nothing to suggest that there is anything wrong with the upgrade product key that came with your Vista Ultimate upgrade box. The core problem is the bug that is making you unable to successfully upgrade from a pre-installed copy of Vista Home to an Upgrade version of Vista Ultimate.

I have your original Service Request number (which should have your contact phone number), so what I will do is escalate this up to the Product Support Managers for Vista and have him arrange for a Vista Support Engineer to contact you directly, to help you overcome this bug.( there may be a simple workaround that I'm just not aware of). My escalation will include the above summery of your issue and will specificly request a support engineer that has a high level of knowledge in install issues.

Would you tell me the best day and time for the support engineer to contact you? (please include the time zone for your location).

Thank you,

Darin

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:55 PM
  • If that does not work, then how about Friday 2-15-08 at the same time? I can be reach here in my office at (866 807 5040) . Just have them ask for Rick.  Thank you.

ReBell

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Hi Scooter,

OK, I have escalated this to PSS. They tell me the turnaround time may be up to 24hrs so I think you can expect the call back on Friday.

Darin

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:43 PM
  •  

I have the exact same problem and it's driving me to distraction!

I have Home Premium pre installed on the laptop, I bought the WAU Ultimate upgrade and it won't install.  It either completes and as mentioned above is running on a generic trial key and refuses to allow me to change the key aying it is invalid (which it is not) or at the start of the setup it asks me for the kay and says it is not a valid key which it clearly is, I have checked the typing a million times.

It's really dissapointing to pay so much money for soemthing and find the only thing you get out of it are sore eyes from reinstalling a million times and a headache!

I've done clean installs of my originial Home premium and run the upgrade again but it refuses to accept a perfectly valid key! If I try a clean install it tells me this key in not valid for this type of install!

If you find some solution I would love to hear what it is because nobody has managed as yet to resolve it.

Craig

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Hi JCDammer,

I highly recommend going to http://support.microsoft.com and contacting Vista support. Install/upgrade support is usually at no cost

In this forum, we support Vista Activation and Validation issue and your issue is outside my area of knowledge. This is why I had to pass on the above poster to Vista support.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 22, 2008 10:11 PM
  •  

Hi Darin

Thanks kindly for your reply.

After much banging of head on desk, profanity and electric blue air, I resolved it.

It seems when you reinstall a pre-installed computer (or certainly a Fujitsu-Siemens one) it reinstalls fine and when you go online it says it is activated.  In fact that's only half true, it appears to be activated for the purposes of microsoft validation online but it is not completely registering as activated on the laptop.

When I went in and checked the activation status it had the right OEM serial and windows said this product is Activated. 

But when you re-install from a restore disk it obviously misses out a file somewhere that the upgrade looks at to confirm activation status.  So long story short the Anytime Upgrade thought my copy of Vista Home Premium was not genuine or active and refused to install anything but a trial version of ultimate.

I rectified it by selecting change product key and re-typing the key on the sticker on the base of the laptop which forced windows to ask me for reactivation.  Then I activated it by phone which is quick and quite easy and after that installed the Update to Ultimate.  Needless to say it worked just fine and Ultimate activated no problem.

Anyway thanks for your response, and hopefully that might might help a few people who have the problem I did.

Craig

Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:36 PM