none
On the lack of moderators RRS feed

• Question

• Warning: Critical post follows.  I've been posting here for over 2 years now, and I feel I've earned the right to say what I'm about to say. 

The abysmal lack of moderators is killing this site.  An unmanaged site will soon become an abandoned site.

Are there any plans to add moderators to any forums or even entertain the possibility?  I haven't seen a new moderator in at least a year.  I would gladly volunteer to help.  I've obviously been extremely active, and am often the first person to see a spam post.  That being said, even if I'm not a moderator, something has to be done about this situation. The Architecture forum is a great example of a forum slowly slipping into spamdom.  Before long, it'll die too.  That's a shame.  I love this site, and I'd hate to see it go to waste for lack of administration.

Here's another way to look at it: Which forums are most active?  Are they not the ones that have solid moderation? (C# General, C# Language and .NET BCL come to mind).  This should be a sign.  Adding moderators is not a bad thing.  It's a good thing.

If it's the desire of the administrators and those who believe in these forums to start driving some more traffic, and become competitive with some of the other sites out there, it's necessary that something be done.  Simply doing the same thing again and again expecting different results is exactly what's happening here.  It's time to think about a change.

While the focus has been to change the overall look and feel of the site (and that has been done well, in my estimation), the failure to properly administer the site has begun giving the forums the feel of an abandoned ghost town. 

Some moderators I know have some strong feelings about this.  Many people who post (such as myself) do as well. 

Please, do something. 

Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiTwitterLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:06 PM

Answers

• David, the current forum administrators have made it quite clear in the past that they don't want to be responsible for moderator nominations.  They expect the MSFT group that "owns" the forum to take care of this.  Unfortunately, most of the MSDN forums you post to have no group participation, nor do they have a known designated owner.  Requests in the moderator forum to publish a list of groups and contacts have been ignored.  I can't help you with names, I don't know them either for any of the forums I moderate.

Best thing to do is to get in touch with your MVP lead and ask for a reference to somebody in the associated group.  The BCL, CLR and C# groups are still around, I know C# has been somewhat responsive in the past.  BCL and CLR are going to be difficult.  The WF group is gone.  If your lead has no clue either, ask for Charlie Calvert.  As the C# community coordinator, he ought to be able to push buttons.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:04 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you could define "this site". When you started writing I assumed you meant this forum (as that at least fits the "this" as it is the place you posted this post to).

This forum (and the Forums Only forum) could certainly do with someone working non-Redmond hours so that all the spam posts (about Videos ..) and other off-topic posts could be deleted / moved as soon as possible without needing to wait for the (single?) MS moderator of these forums to get rid of them.

But it seems as if you are talking about something completely different as there isn't an Architecture forum in this set of forums.

One thing Moderators learn quickly is not to make assumptions as they tend to be wrong. Thus in a forum for two products it's wise never to post a reply that only fits one of the products. Here it would be wise not to assume that we all know which "this" site is supposed to be!
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

By "this site" I mean "the Microsoft Forums".

Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiTwitterLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:27 PM
  • David, the current forum administrators have made it quite clear in the past that they don't want to be responsible for moderator nominations.  They expect the MSFT group that "owns" the forum to take care of this.  Unfortunately, most of the MSDN forums you post to have no group participation, nor do they have a known designated owner.  Requests in the moderator forum to publish a list of groups and contacts have been ignored.  I can't help you with names, I don't know them either for any of the forums I moderate.

Best thing to do is to get in touch with your MVP lead and ask for a reference to somebody in the associated group.  The BCL, CLR and C# groups are still around, I know C# has been somewhat responsive in the past.  BCL and CLR are going to be difficult.  The WF group is gone.  If your lead has no clue either, ask for Charlie Calvert.  As the C# community coordinator, he ought to be able to push buttons.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:11 PM