msMoney Sunset install on Win10, error 0xc1500002 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Can't get msMoney to Open (0xc1500002): upgraded from W8 to W10 a year ago on this PC; W10 seems to run fine. Now trying to move msMoney from a W7 PC to this PC. Downloaded msMoney from MS-site, to this PC and had AUTORUN error. Found a work-around but now get error 0xc1500002.

This W10 PC software is up-to-date Win10 1903. I've run MSERT, ‘sfc /scannow’, etc and found NO problems. IE 11.657.18362.0 accesses the iNet.

To be clear, to avoid AUTORUN.inf error, Ran from Administrator: Command Prompt:
    =====
    cd %USERPROFILE%\*documents
    USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /C /T:%TEMP%\Sunset
    cd %TEMP%\Sunset
    mnyinst
    =====
    Money install replied: Setup was unable to install some components needed to run Money. Try installing Money again … but
    I clicked FINISH.

When I DIR the newly created "Microsoft Money Plus", it shows only 2 files (readme.htm and sample.mny) and 2 Dir(s).
    DIR MNYCoreFiles shows 123 Files 55,975,921 Bytes with 6 Dir(s)

Is that reasonable?

When I run msmoney.exe: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc1500002). Click OK ...

Ideas?

THX
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:48 PM

All replies

• The number of files visible depends on your settings in Windows Explorer. By default, a standard user cannot see program and system files so that they cannot damage the Windows and Program systems. An information request, such as showing the properties of a directory, will show how many files exist.

See The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0150002.

Since you have upgraded from Windows 8 and it now appears you have a damaged Windows system, I recommend you back up your data, wipe your system disk and do a clean install of Windows 10 and your programs. See Create installation media for Windows .

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 2:37 PM
  • You might try running msmoney.exe as administrator.  You can right click the launch icon (shortcut), and choose RunAsAdminstrator.

I understand that is not what you normally have to do, but you might try that.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:41 PM
  • I'm not seeing a shortcut
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 10:51 PM
  • Money would have put a shortcut somewhere, I would think, during the install. Maybe on the desktop? I forget what the install does, actually.

You could create a shortcut, or right-click msmoney.exe and choose RunAsAdministrator.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:01 PM
  • The MNYCoreFiles are Hidden - interesting, FileExplorer does NOT show them, even with VIEW.Hidden Items ON
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:06 PM
  • MNYCoreFiles is a system folder. You need to turn on the option to see system files, not just hidden files.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:29 AM
  • The OP could try a repair install before a clean install

Steve Cussons

Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:10 AM
  • The default shortcut is here in my UK installation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe"

However, I've created a shortcut to my personal money file in My Documents which is the opened by default by MS Money.

Steve Cussons

Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:13 AM
  • DominicP - was hoping to find a quick-solution and NOT Clean Install. But no quick-solutions nor Repair worked. Clean Install ... and voila ... msMoney works fine!

Now ... I'll spend 'leap weekend' re-customizing this PC.

Thx ALL for comments. 

Friday, February 28, 2020 4:08 PM