VS2005 Remote Debugger fails RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, another RD issue that I can't seem to fix no matter many of the 'solutions' on the net I've tried. Here is my setup first:

Local workstation is Windows XP SP2
    Remote server is Windows 2003 R2 SP2
    Visual Studio 2005 (code is in C# if that matters)
    Remote Debug Monitor is running with Windows auth. turned on.

My workstation is on the company domain (network) and the server is in our test lab (not on the domain). I can VPN to the server, open file shares, etc with no issues using the IP address and logging in as administrator.

The issue comes in when I try to use the remote debugger to step through some code in a Windows service that is running on the server. When I use 'default' as the transport and this as the qualifier, "xx.xx.xx.xx\Administrator@computername" I receive the following error: "Unable to connect to the MS VS RD Monitor named xx.xx.xx.xx\Administrator@computername. The debugger cannot connect to the remote computer."

If I try to connect with the setup (default transport) but using just the IP as the qualifier I get the following error: "Unable to connect to the MS VS RD Monitor named xx.xx.xx.xx. The MS VS RD Monitor does not appear to be running.". I have verified the monitor is running.

Now, if I change the RD Monitor to use no auth. and to allow any user to debug and then try to attach with 'Remote' as my transport and the IP as my qualifier I connect and can see the processes, including the one I need to debug. If I go ahead and attach to the service I can not hit breakpoints, "No native symbols in the symbol file". If I try to manually load the symbol file I get an error saying the files don't match (even though they do).

I've looked and looked and tried what seems like a thousand things to get this working and nothing seems to have any effect. Please, please can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Michael

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

• Good afternoon! Sorry we can't help you in this forum. Hope you get the help you are looking for!

Regards,
    Bill Wesse
    MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Escalation Engineer
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Glad to hear you are unblocked. From your description, I infer that both accounts are administrators on the respective machines. If you are running in workgroup mode, I think that could explain it.

ref:
    search for 'SE_DEBUG_PRIVILEGE' on:
    Setting Up Remote Debugging
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t(VS.71).aspx

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:38 AM

All replies

• This is supposed to be in the VS Remote Debugger forum. Not sure why it's here. Can a mod please move it?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Good afternoon! Sorry we can't help you in this forum. Hope you get the help you are looking for!

Regards,
    Bill Wesse
    MCSE, MCTS / Senior Escalation Engineer, US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Escalation Engineer
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Thanks, and I finally found a solution. On top of having a user account setup on both machines I had to do 'run as' on the debugger and on VS and run them as the same user. Even though I was logged in as those users. In any case, I can debug so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Glad to hear you are unblocked. From your description, I infer that both accounts are administrators on the respective machines. If you are running in workgroup mode, I think that could explain it.

ref:
    search for 'SE_DEBUG_PRIVILEGE' on:
    Setting Up Remote Debugging
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t(VS.71).aspx

Regards,
    Bill Wesse

Escalation Engineer
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:38 AM