SyncToy Backup to Two USB Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.1 to backup my files (echo) to two USB hard drives that I swap out each week.  The sync to the first USB drive worked fine.  However, when I swapped it out for the second drive, the echo copied only files modified since the sync to the first drive.  It failed to copy all of the files to the second drive which I expected it to since it was empty.  This scenario worked just fine with SyncToy 1.4.  Is there anyway to preform this rotating backup with two drives using SyncToy 2.1?
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris -

The way to do this would be to create two folder pairs - one for each disk. This does mean that the one painful thing is to ensure that both your disks have different drive letters ( otherwise we will create new metadata on each sync and performance would really be bad).

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi ChrisW7,

Had you created folder pairs for both of your USB Drives, or created only one folder pair and made your USB Drives work as destination folder of it?

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi Chris -

The way to do this would be to create two folder pairs - one for each disk. This does mean that the one painful thing is to ensure that both your disks have different drive letters ( otherwise we will create new metadata on each sync and performance would really be bad).

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I thought about using two folder pairs.  At the moment, I have one folder pair that runs each night as a scheduled task so my backup is automatic.  Only one USB drive is attached at a time (since the other is offsite) and both drives have the same drive letter.  I suppose I could give each drive it's own drive letter and then create a folder pair and associated scheduled job for each.  The problem is that I don't always swap them out on the same day each week and I really don't want to have to worry about which folder pair / scheduled job is active.  If I left both folder pairs / scheduled jobs active, will the one with the missing drive just error out politely leaving the other one to run?  My backup scheme before was automatic and mindless (the way it should be).  All I had to do was remember to swap the drives out and take one offsite.  I'd like to find a way to keep it that way if I can.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Good question ChrisW7, I am having the exact same problem.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:00 PM
  • So I needed to get my backups going so I assigned each USB drive a different drive letter using disk management (Win 7 Ult x64) and then created two corresponding sync folder pairs.  So far so good.  The problem now is that each time I swap the drives out they each get assigned to the same drive letter rather than the different drive letters that I assigned them.  I can't win.  Both drives are WD 500 GB Passport Essentials with different volume labels.  At this point I'm thinking of writing a small program to inspect the drive volume label and then start SyncToy with the correct sync folder pair.  The program can then be scheduled to give me the automated backup I want.  Anyone have any other ideas on how to solve this problem? 
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:40 AM
  • I've given up on SyncToy for my backup.  Both my drives always showed up with the same drive letter.  I've now gone to Windows 7 Robocopy.  Once I got the command line switches I wanted figured out it works exactly the way I want it to with no fuss.  It's fast too and it can create a log file of what got copied.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 12:45 PM
  • So the short answer is no, somehow functionality got lost between versions 1.4 and 2.1. 
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Like everyone else here I tried using SyncToy with two separate drives for rolling backups, and realized that Synchtoy was only looking at what changed since the last sync and not comparing the RHS and LHS.  I now know the fix (creating two different but mirrored folder sets).  But now that I've synced to the second drive, when I go back to the first drive I'm guessing it will skip the files that it just moved to the second drive?  Is the only fix to delete all my folder pairs and start over?

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:17 AM