A question before I download the trial for evaluation RRS feed

• Question

• I already have a very happily functioning installation of Norton Antivirus 2008 (AV ONLY, not a suite), and I DON'T want to give that up.  I've been a faithful NAV user since the beginning of antivirus software with no major issues.  I know, call me one of the few.

In this regard, I'd like to know if there is a way to perform a selective installation of OneCare; for instance, having all features installed EXCEPT the antivirus portion? 

A customizable installation would be a GREAT option for advanced or power users or those who really know how to maintain a relatively safe computing environment, but are looking at the GREAT cost/benefit of the deal (up to 3 pcs for 50USD/yr, come on - that's a SCREAMING deal!) thinking that you can't beat that price with a stick.

Anyone know whether or not you can already do this or if this is maybe a possible option for future release?

Dusty S.

dirtycar74 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sacramento, CA, USA

Sunday, April 20, 2008 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hello Dusty, you can only install One Care as a complete package. It is meant to be a complete solution for PC protection and maintenance so in my opinion it is not very likely to be offered as a "pick and choose" modular product. I'm glad to hear NAV has worked well for you but if you give the One Care trial a shot you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hello Dusty, you can only install One Care as a complete package. It is meant to be a complete solution for PC protection and maintenance so in my opinion it is not very likely to be offered as a "pick and choose" modular product. I'm glad to hear NAV has worked well for you but if you give the One Care trial a shot you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Thanks for responding Jim. 

Unfortunately I won't be taking your suggestion on a production machine; but I might later this year when I get my new one and recycle the older hardware as a test machine... 

I do appreciate your response however.  don't get me wrong.  I was just hoping that the folks up in Redmond might see the benefit of the ability to customize the installation and how it makes your offered software or service that much more appealing to those persons who are yet ambivalent about their possible purchase, or, as in my case, the service looks great and is very appealing to me but I absolute will not fix something that isn't broken (NAV works for me perfectly, and I have no personal experience with the Microsoft equivalent)...

Too bad, however, as by offering a choice to customize your installation might actually get more customers to try the service and later switch to the full product when their current antivirus subscription is no longer up to date...

Dusty S.

dirtycar74 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sacramento, CA, USA

Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:03 AM