Cannot Update Windows One Care RRS feed

• Question

• When I first signed on my PC, I received a message from One Care that I shold "Update my virus and spyware" software.

When I try and do that, I then get a message which that says "Windows Update Cannot Be Completed".  At that point, I then tried the regular Windows update procedure which says that my PC does not need any updates.  Hekp!!!

Ed Roberts, daty123@earthlink.net., 07/15/2008.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am having the same exact problem, I tried to update the virus definitions and there is nothing I can do, I just got the same message about " Windows update cannot be completed"

We need somebody from microsoft to solve this issue

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I suspect that your problem is due to a failure to update to version 2.5 from 2.0. You may need to reinstall OneCare and activate with your subscription LiveID (Help-About in OneCare).

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Sorry, but everyone is posting basically the same error on here. I have the same problem, my version being way behind those on other machines but it INSISTS it is up to date. Mine is already running version 2.5 and has been re-installed with that version three times now - all to no avail. The same error is reported on all three of the XP machines at work, my wife's laptop (XP) and my Vista machine, and they are all running 2.5.

Come along, Mircosoft - get the problem fixed. Everyone is getting the same problem, reporting the error with the same symptoms, but are all being given the same answer to (a) reinstall (b) cleanup or (c) run the repair tool which incidentally fails everytime with the error (according to the logs) that I don't have the access rights to do it even though I run it as administrator.

Someone has cocked up somewhere and nobody seems to know where. Get someone high up on the case and get the RIGHT cure to us all.

Steve.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:37 PM
  • No, Steve. Everyone is not posting the same thing. In your other thread, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3608677&SiteID=2 , you are reporting that you are checking for updates and that OneCare says it is up to date. *You* are then comparing the definition versions and assuming that this is not correct.
    Others are encountering a red status with an error that indicates that an important update to OneCare was unable to be completed. This indicates a failed update to 2.5. And still others are reporting that they are getting an error about the virus and spyware signatures being out of date. That means that a server check revealed no available recent updates within 10 days (that *does* indicate a problem with the staging of definitions and has happened before) or, more likely, something is preventing the successful download of updates.

So, unless your situation has changed, and you are now in red status and are receiving an error, please stop comparing virus definitions. As I stated in your original thread, I am seeking more information on why there would be many different signature versions in use. Once I am able to provide an answer, I'll update your thread.

-steve
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Dear Stephen,

Okay, I shall take my chastisement on the chin (if that's where you're supposed to) and say "sorry for doing a bit too much badgering on this." Somewhat sheepishly, I have to admit I can see your point that my gripe is not quite the same as some other people's gripes - and no, my status has not gone red (even if my butt cheeks have from the slight kicking I have just received from you on this forum)..... but fair enough.

Still, I think you also have to take my (and others') point that the repair tool isn't working, it comes back with lots of errors relating to "insufficient access rights" and so forth, and I can't help but feel it should just be doing it's work and saying "job done."

There's also still an issue that the AV definitions used to change almost daily, and now it's (at best) weekly that mine change. Something is wrong somewhere, but I am prepared to hold my peace until (if) mine goes red too.

Thanks for sticking with this though - I am grateful, and I shall quietly watch from the sidelines/bleachers for a bit on this.

Steve.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I hope I wasn't that harsh as to cause redness. :-) That wasn't my intention - I was just trying to keep your issue apart from the other update issues. When we get a version update, there are often update failures as described by many on the this forum. The update problems for virus signatures have really died down over the past few months, thankfully. I do believe that there was a server signature problem this weekend that was quickly cleared up, where older versions of OneCare were not offered a new signature update for too long - that 10 day window - so some people began to see signature update problems. However, that was resolved Monday by pushing new signatures and the problem first surfaced on Sunday as near as I can tell.

I do agree that the differences in signature versions is confusing, hence my reason for leaving your other thread open and unanswered and my efforts to get an explanation (which is taking longer to get than I had hoped!).

As for the cleanup tool (I think that's the one you are referring to) and other tools encountering permission errors when they are run, that would seem to me that there's a problem on the system that isn't expected by the tool. Something has set the permissions on files that shouldn't be there under normal conditions. That would also mean that the tool needs a revision, I imagine.

Anyway, please accept my apologies if my previous response was too harsh. I was dealing with a crappy 3G connection that kept dropping out all day long, though that isn't a good excuse, just a reason for any harshness I was relaying. I'll push for some answers and hope that they don't take forever to come by!

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:01 AM
  • Dear Stephen,

Damn and blast. Despite saying "I'll watch from the bleachers for a bit" my wife's laptop (XP SP3) has just gone red. Not the whole machine obviously, just OneCare (and well short of the 10 day timeframe since I reinstalled it, too.)

In addition, it won't update the virus definitions (service unavailable), it won't reinstall (network problems it says, try again later) and worse - it says our subscription runs out in 5 days. In fact it is good until the 30th November 2008.

I think I am going to turn to drinking hard liquor shortly.

What on EARTH is going on? Save me.

Steve.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Check the date and time on your wife's laptop. All of those symptoms point to the date being out of whack.

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Dear Stephen,

Hey - top marks for that one. The wife must have been fiddling with the date, as it said 26th November. She can't be trusted, bless her. Still, thanks for solving that little issue!

Steve.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  

You're welcome. I wish they were all that easy to earn.

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:00 PM
  • I have had one care for around 2 weeks.  It was really cool at frist now what a head ache.  it wont update.  It is constantly asking for a back up.  Like 15 times a day.  I think Once a week is sufficient.  I had Macafee for a bit.  Comcast offered it free.  I can't get it all the way out of my computer no matter what type of uninstaller I use.   I even tried to Just stop it in the system.  Some just insists on running on automatic no matter what.  Macafee is a virus I am quite convinced.  The I have Microsoft up date trying to give me sp3 I am getiing ready to go postal on my machine.  My processor is an AMD and there is no fix for the crash that I know of get away with your evil update.  Now onecare.  Gee ya know it would be great if I actually found something useful on these boards.  I am a site mod on a site.  If all we did was give sort of dumb answers, and couldn't Give users a solutions to their problems you would not be a mod for long.  Microsoft has forum mods trying to fix and help people with obvious coding problems.  Someone that codes or writes these things should be here,  Forum mods are for the easy stuff Like how do i make my fonts bigger. Just my opinion, and everybody has one as they say.  I am just frustrated from getting no answers just some forum jousting. 

Lady_Kathryn

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:15 AM
  • there is 2 things you can do 1 is to downloan (windows cleanup utility) it is a great software it will clean up thouse unwanted programs that you cant get rid of by just uninstalling them i use it and it works sweet. u can get it from microsofts web site and for the sp3 crashes you can get a fix from there to its called  (WindowsXP-x86-ENU) its a hotfix package it works for sp3 and sp2 i hope this works for you.  P.S edit backup configurations and unchex all but recorded tv prog. this will stop the backup problem........

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Escalate this to the top

I too am having the same problem, which will mean that you will have a 100 k similar questions in the next few hours

Fixit without this bs of installiong.

BTW your suggestion of using the database fix will cause grief since with vista it will ask for admin priveledges to run

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:07 AM
  • I see that everyone is having the same issue this morning. I have version 2.5 also but am getting the massage that One Care can not update the virus def. I suspect that an intern has walked into an area where they probably should have not.

Friday, July 18, 2008 11:26 AM
  •  Lady_Kathryn wrote:

I have had one care for around 2 weeks.  It was really cool at frist now what a head ache.  it wont update.  It is constantly asking for a back up.  Like 15 times a day.  I think Once a week is sufficient.  I had Macafee for a bit.  Comcast offered it free.  I can't get it all the way out of my computer no matter what type of uninstaller I use.   I even tried to Just stop it in the system.  Some just insists on running on automatic no matter what.  Macafee is a virus I am quite convinced.  The I have Microsoft up date trying to give me sp3 I am getiing ready to go postal on my machine.  My processor is an AMD and there is no fix for the crash that I know of get away with your evil update.  Now onecare.  Gee ya know it would be great if I actually found something useful on these boards.  I am a site mod on a site.  If all we did was give sort of dumb answers, and couldn't Give users a solutions to their problems you would not be a mod for long.  Microsoft has forum mods trying to fix and help people with obvious coding problems.  Someone that codes or writes these things should be here,  Forum mods are for the easy stuff Like how do i make my fonts bigger. Just my opinion, and everybody has one as they say.  I am just frustrated from getting no answers just some forum jousting. 

Lady_Kathryn

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

You can configure backup to run at a schedule of your choosing or even not at all. Select Change Settings, go to the backup tab and configure it, selecting "when" to change your backup schedule.

You will need to update to SP3 of XP as it has now been pushed to Automatic Updates as a Critical/Important update. There is a fix for the AMD processor problem affecting some computers - see top issues at the XP Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0 or contact your PC manufacturer who should have support information available for your model.

I'm sorry that you believe that the forums are not useful. There are many solutions available here that are posted daily. You can search for them and review the FAQ postings. For technical support, if you are unable to find a solution that works for you here, you should contact support.  How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

For the record, forum moderators have two main roles - keep the forum organized by moving posts as needed, especially addressing offensive and off topic posts and providing direction, moderating, discussions. We are fellow users and volunteers.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:15 PM
  •  Snivly wrote:

Escalate this to the top

I too am having the same problem, which will mean that you will have a 100 k similar questions in the next few hours

Fixit without this bs of installiong.

BTW your suggestion of using the database fix will cause grief since with vista it will ask for admin priveledges to run

And the same problem is?

The database fix requires admin privileges to run, as do other tools to fix issues with OneCare. Simply download the tool to your desktop and right click, Run as Administrator and provide the admin credentials if prompted.

If the database fix does not resolve it, I suspect you will need to reinstall. It is a last resort that usually works. I assume you've review the FAQ for troubleshooting update issues.

-steve

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:20 PM
  •  

That is exactly what I did.

I see now some 10 hours later that it is up and running again.

Quick patchwork I see Smile

Snivly

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:23 PM