Getting CRM Reports to Run when Internet Facing RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Dynamics CRM v4, SQL 2008 and SQL reporting Services onto a Windows 2008 (virtual) 32 bit server.

All worked well when I accessed it as a local server - both normal use and running reports.

I then ran the Internet Facing Deployment Tool to configure the server for external use and this worked OK for normal CRM  - I am testing from a PC outside the domain / LAN sub net.

However when running reports I errors in the event log that the Permissions for the "Network Service" are insufficient to allow access to http://server:5554/ReportServer/ReportService2005.asmx  - reading the documentation I then discovered that you had to have Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services. However I have installed this and am still getting the errors.

Reporting Services is running using a special Account I have set up for the purpose (as recommended). I have got CRM running on port 5555 and Reporting Services on port 5554 (I can't use Port 80 for various reasons and this is a testing / development set up.)

There is a fair bit in the instalation documentation about this but it is all IIS6 related and it seems Reporting Services runs in a different way on Windows 2008 / IIS7.

Any ideas?

thanks in anticicpation
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi - Thanks for all the posts.

None of the points above seemed to help - I have been intermittently trying various things.

In the end I did a complete Uninstall of CRM (including deleting all the AD entries created) and then re-installed CRM from Scratch.

On Running the IFD configuration it suddenly started to work - no idea why but I am just grateful it is working!
    • Marked as answer by Andrew S UK Friday, July 10, 2009 3:59 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:59 PM

All replies

• No firewalls blocking access on the ports?
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:53 PM
  • There are changes in 2008 IIS.  Let's see if we can get a clue as to what's going on.

The Network Service account is authenticating the application pool for the CRM Server.  The account effectively represents the machine account of the CRM server that is trying to authenticate Kerberos tokens from the application server.  The authentican via Kerberos failes the next try is NTLM.  The security logs show show the success and failures.    If this is the case the IFD configuration is failing on AD authentication.  See if the symtoms are there.  The server account should be in the Reporting Group.  I'm not there but I would try authenticating to that port from outside the Kerboros Realm and see if the log shows successful or failed authentication.

As a test I one time added the machine account to the local adminstrtors group on the SQL server and authentication was fixed but that's not the way to configure it.  It only get's you out of trouble in a pinch.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:48 PM
  • There is an extra step with the IFD for publishing reports; Joel Lindstrom's article should provide some insight:  http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/06/publish-microso.html

Also, external reports were not available in SQL Server 2005 workgroup.  I can't find any definite information about SQL 2008, but it's worth checking the edition.

Friday, June 12, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Hi - Thanks for all the posts.

None of the points above seemed to help - I have been intermittently trying various things.

In the end I did a complete Uninstall of CRM (including deleting all the AD entries created) and then re-installed CRM from Scratch.

On Running the IFD configuration it suddenly started to work - no idea why but I am just grateful it is working!
    • Marked as answer by Andrew S UK Friday, July 10, 2009 3:59 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:59 PM