Error using PKU tool RRS feed

• Question

• I ran the Windows Genuine Validation tool which showed my XP Pro to be invalid due to a blocked VLK. I then purchase the WGA kit and received a new product key. When I tried to use the PKU tool  I received the following message "'The product key could not be updated on your computer. This may be due to technical difficulties or network connectivity problems'. After visiting this forum I ran the MGA diagnostic which failed the Display Images Enabled test. I tried the resolve button which advised checking the internet settings for my browser. The box to check was the "show pictures" box. this was checked. I tried the PKU again but received the same message. Can you help Please ?
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:21 PM

Answers

• Hello Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, I've talked to a few associates here and we think the issue may be with your internet connectivity as the tool requires an active internet connection to be able to activate the new product key you are attempting to update your system with.  I would highly suggest making sure any and all firewalls/antispyware programs are disabled and try again, also if your computer is connected to a router if at all possible to directly connect this computer to the internet for updating the key.  Unfortunately if this still is not working your only option will be to reinstall Windows using the media you receive in the mail, a reinstallation if Windows will erase any data that you currently have stored on your machine so be sure to backup anything you will want to keep.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Pvan,

Can you tell me which version of Windows you received with your WGA kit, such as Home/Pro etc?

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Hello Matt,

According to the shipping notification the WGA kit is for XP Pro. I have not yet received the CD, only the product key.

As a secondary question is the PKU more likely to be successful using the CD and will it install without loss of files.

Thanks, Peter

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Hello Peter,

Thanks for the feedback, I've talked to a few associates here and we think the issue may be with your internet connectivity as the tool requires an active internet connection to be able to activate the new product key you are attempting to update your system with.  I would highly suggest making sure any and all firewalls/antispyware programs are disabled and try again, also if your computer is connected to a router if at all possible to directly connect this computer to the internet for updating the key.  Unfortunately if this still is not working your only option will be to reinstall Windows using the media you receive in the mail, a reinstallation if Windows will erase any data that you currently have stored on your machine so be sure to backup anything you will want to keep.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Hello Matt,

I wasn't able to activate the new product key via the PKU even with firewall and antivirus disabled.  I have now reinstalled XP Pro using the CD received today. After the CD had booted I was given the option to attempt to repair XP using repair console or setup XP. The attempt to repair at this point requires the administrator password which after five years of not using I have now forgotten.

After selecting setup XP I was given the option of recovering an existing installation so I took that and XP installed without losing any of the existing files. So I now have a fully functioning legal XP pro operating system.

Thanks for your help. Peter 

Monday, March 10, 2008 8:20 PM