Computer failing to take a volume snapshot and Antivirus scan RRS feed

• Question

• I have been getting the error where the backup fails due to the computer failing to take a snapshot. This has been occuring on one of my 3 XP machines, even after I reinstalled everything from scratch. The backup works after a reboot. I turned off my AVG antivirus daily scan and the backups worked. I uninstalled AVG and removed all traces from the registry. I then installled Comodo. After a Comodo scan completes, I get the same error until I reboot. I tried the solutions in this thread to no avail (I had tried it before I rebuilt as well).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

Sorry to resurrect a three-month-old thread, but I figured out the problem. Over the recent Thanksgiving long weekend I decided to reinstall everything from scratch again. After adding the connector and my virus scanner to the fresh install without even any Windows updates, I made sure I could run a virus scan and then a successful backup. I then slowly added applications a few at a time. I would then repeat a virus scan and a backup to make sure everything worked. I figured out what caused the problem. I have Photoshop CS4 and Adobe suggests adding a switch to the Windows boot.ini file to allow Photoshop to access more memory. It is a /3GB switch referenced here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

With this switch in place, a virus scan reproducibly caused the problem noted above. Removing the switch allowed a virus scan to run and then a backup to run flawlessly immediately afterwards, without requiring a reboot. This was my only XP machine with this switch. Not sure if this is some sort of bug.

Mitch
    • Marked as answer by Makman Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:20 PM

All replies

• What is the exact error message you are seeing?

I remember I got a volume error message before on one machine (Windows XP x86). The solution that worked for me (if I remember correctly) was to reconfigure the backup settings from the console.

If that doesn't work I would advise checking the firewall settings of your computer (both in the anti-virus program and the default Windows Firewall).
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:16 AM
  • The error is, "The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume shapshot.  To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer".

Does not matter of I turn off Comodo completely (it is now my av and firewall solution). If a virus scan has run, I need to reboot before a backup will run.

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:06 AM
  • The error is, "The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume shapshot.  To resolve this problem, try running "chkdsk /f /r" on each of your hard drives and restart your computer".

Does not matter of I turn off Comodo completely (it is now my av and firewall solution). If a virus scan has run, I need to reboot before a backup will run.

Mitch

Did you try running chkdsk /r on your hard drives?  You said you "reinstalled everything from scratch".  Did you reinstall only the OS, then the Connector software, then try a backup?  Or did you install other apps before trying your first backup?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Another thread said that this is typically caused by a problem with the Volume Shadow Service. I'm typing from an iPod so I'll just include the link to the thread. There are a number of solutions you might try from there. http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6e448c8b-0542-46ba-b2cf-099334d9ddb0/ I would definitely run checkdisk and then reconfigure the backup before attempting any fixes found above. Another thread suggested that the server may be a little feisty and need a reboot.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Did you try running chkdsk /r on your hard drives?  You said you "reinstalled everything from scratch".  Did you reinstall only the OS, then the Connector software, then try a backup?  Or did you install other apps before trying your first backup>

I think I have, but cannot remeber for sure now. I did not try a backup with just the OS and connector.

Another thread said that this is typically caused by a problem with the Volume Shadow Service. I'm typing from an iPod so I'll just include the link to the thread. There are a number of solutions you might try from there. http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6e448c8b-0542-46ba-b2cf-099334d9ddb0/ I would definitely run checkdisk and then reconfigure the backup before attempting any fixes found above. Another thread suggested that the server may be a little feisty and need a reboot.

I have tried reregistering all the DLL's, and confirming no other VSS providers. I have not looked at the event manager for disk issues. I am doing (another?) chkdsk /r, so I can't look at the event monitor now. I don't have a USB hub to disconnect.

Thanks

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Hi Mitch,
    please provide the error message from the clients event log.
    (Maybe there are other related messages.)
    If it is really something with VSS or COM+ components, you can try to run the batches shown in this thread on the German Homeserver Blog.

Also check Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/Computers/My Computer/COM+ Applications, if you can still see the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and within the subfolder Components the real component (here VSSW.VSSoftwareProvider.1). If this is empty, you may have to add it again.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:07 AM
  • It occurred to me to check a few details.

1. When you rebuilt the machine, did you zero the drive first?
    2. Are your other machines running AVG/Comodo without this problem?
    3. Is the server fully updated?
    4. Are you using the latest connector?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:18 PM
  • It occurred to me to check a few details.

1. When you rebuilt the machine, did you zero the drive first?
    2. Are your other machines running AVG/Comodo without this problem?
    3. Is the server fully updated?
    4. Are you using the latest connector?
    1) I reformatted the drive
    2) AVG without problems (also on 3 Vista machines)
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

Thanks
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi Mitch,
    please provide the error message from the clients event log.
    (Maybe there are other related messages.)
    If it is really something with VSS or COM+ components, you can try to run the batches shown in this thread on the German Homeserver Blog.

Also check Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/Computers/My Computer/COM+ Applications, if you can still see the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and within the subfolder Components the real component (here VSSW.VSSoftwareProvider.1). If this is empty, you may have to add it again.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Hi Olaf,

The COM+ application has all the correct components.

THe event log from the client has this Homeserver error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 770
    Date:  8/25/2009
    Time:  7:09:18 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MEDIA
    Description:
    Backup set 79 on HOMESERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042308 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80042308): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042308
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.GetSnapshotProperties(Guid SnapshotId)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The German thread has 2 batch files. I found the same or similar info as the first batch file in other thread and or on MS Support. Should they both be run?

Thanks,

Mitch

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:44 PM
  • I believe the first batch script should be run.
    It seems that you need to install the proper version of XML to use this as well.
    I had this snap shot problem with my XP laptop. I ran chkdsk a few times but every backup would 
    fail saying unable to create snapshot. I found the following solution on microsofts WHS forum.
    Backups now work 100% of the time. 1. From command prompt: Cd windows\system32 Net stop vss Net stop swprv regsvr32 ole32.dll regsvr32 vss_ps.dll Vssvc /Register regsvr32 /i swprv.dll ------- I was able to register it, before Iwas getting error 0x8000ffff regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll regsvr32 es.dll regsvr32 stdprov.dll regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- I had XP, I guess this should work for 2003 only. regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed. regsvr32 msxml3.dll -------- if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version regsvr32 msxml4.dll

This solution was posted here with the additional comments. Another thread also recommended if the script fails that you reinstall the corresponding XML parser from here
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:07 PM I'm not the greatest at HTML....
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:04 PM
  • The thing that seems different with my problem is that if I don't run the virus scan I can do one home server backup after another without any problem. All the other threads indicate that the home server backup continuously failed. Not sure what is different about my problem! Kingslaye505, I had already run the batch file you posted.

Thanks,

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Sorry, I missed that.
    Yet another thread recommends running
    vssadmin list writers

and verifying that VSS writers are listed. After that, it recommends running
    vssadmin list shadows

and making sure that there are no shadow copies in the system (You might have already done this, so forgive me if you have). Make sure everything there is stable.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Sorry, I missed that.
    Yet another thread recommends running
    vssadmin list writers

and verifying that VSS writers are listed. After that, it recommends running
    vssadmin list shadows

and making sure that there are no shadow copies in the system (You might have already done this, so forgive me if you have). Make sure everything there is stable.

Well, there is something when I list writers. Not sure what it means:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'
    Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}
    Writer Instance Id: {0b1302ae-b151-485d-a429-a18a209eb413}
    State: [1] Stable

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'
    Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}
    Writer Instance Id: {8ebc6898-5d89-4474-8673-26f72440553f}

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'
    Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}
    Writer Instance Id: {d904304e-5afb-407e-8cb8-a851fdd5a07a}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
    Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
    Writer Instance Id: {0b931c72-bb8d-4c53-9cf6-6f97a9a2b56b}
    State: [7] Failed

There were no shadows listed.

Mitch

Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:51 PM
  • I restarted the computer and listed the VSS admin writers again. The error cleared.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'
    Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}
    Writer Instance Id: {82dfc365-81ae-49dc-9a54-98240bd323a9}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'
    Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}
    Writer Instance Id: {8ff52a79-f33f-4321-8f13-962b3caf6bd2}

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'
    Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}
    Writer Instance Id: {b4f79e7c-e5ec-4c30-ad19-10a3e925520a}
    Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
    Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
    Writer Instance Id: {61667463-c22f-4f82-81b7-a61f0e3a3807}

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Ok, that's what I expected would happen.
    Download this tool and try running it. It will help you diagnose problems with the WMI service which seems to be responsible for the error.
    From Microsoft:

Overview WMIDiag.vbs is a VBScript script designed to help you ascertain the current state of the WMI service on a computer. The download package includes the utility itself, a ReadMe file that discusses how the tool works (and how to best use it), and sample spreadsheets that provide information about the default WMI configuration on various versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system.

So something about running a virus scan messes up the WMI Writer... I don't know how to resolve this, here's where Google will come in handy :D.
    • Edited by kingslaye505 Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:29 PM Added content
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:26 PM
  • What Service Pack is the XP machine running?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:32 PM
  • I will try it, thanks. The machine is running XP Pro SP3

Mitch
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry to resurrect a three-month-old thread, but I figured out the problem. Over the recent Thanksgiving long weekend I decided to reinstall everything from scratch again. After adding the connector and my virus scanner to the fresh install without even any Windows updates, I made sure I could run a virus scan and then a successful backup. I then slowly added applications a few at a time. I would then repeat a virus scan and a backup to make sure everything worked. I figured out what caused the problem. I have Photoshop CS4 and Adobe suggests adding a switch to the Windows boot.ini file to allow Photoshop to access more memory. It is a /3GB switch referenced here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

With this switch in place, a virus scan reproducibly caused the problem noted above. Removing the switch allowed a virus scan to run and then a backup to run flawlessly immediately afterwards, without requiring a reboot. This was my only XP machine with this switch. Not sure if this is some sort of bug.

Mitch
    • Marked as answer by Makman Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:20 PM
    Not sure if this is some sort of bug.
    It is; it's a bug in the AV tool you use, in my opinion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:18 PM
    Not sure if this is some sort of bug.
    It is; it's a bug in the AV tool you use, in my opinion.

Except that it occurred with AVG, Commodo, and Avast. Hard to imagine thaey all share the same bug. Seems like a Microsoft issue.

Mitch
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:28 PM
  • You didn't say that previously. :)

It's possible that it's a bug in Windows, and I agree that it seems more likely. It could also be a bug in the backup engine (though I think that unlikely). You can submit a bug report on Connect; I would include logs from the server and the client that's having this problem.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:45 PM
  • You didn't say that previously. :)

It's possible that it's a bug in Windows, and I agree that it seems more likely. It could also be a bug in the backup engine (though I think that unlikely). You can submit a bug report on Connect; I would include logs from the server and the client that's having this problem.

I mentioned AVG and Commodo in the first post, but not Avast which was a third I tried. I will submit to connect.

Thanks

Mitch
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:24 PM