Adding WD3TB Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add a fourth drive to my WHS.  I've purchased a new WD 3TB and for the first time unable to add it either as a part of the pooled storage or backup.  I've tried using diskpart and been unsuccessful.  Home Server sees capacity as 2.7TB, and when formatting begins shuts down backup services temporarily.   I've rebooted WHS.  WHS is unable to reformat disk because "another program or service" is using the disk. 

Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:24 PM

Answers

• If you are using WHS1, you are out of luck! It's just too old to understand modern drives. The maximum you will be able to use is 2TB which is what size partition WHS should have created. How did you get a 2.7TB partition?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:15 PM

All replies

• If you are using WHS1, you are out of luck! It's just too old to understand modern drives. The maximum you will be able to use is 2TB which is what size partition WHS should have created. How did you get a 2.7TB partition?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:15 PM
  • I created a 2TB partition in Windows 7 and when the drive is loaded back onto the server it sees no partition and is unable to take any action.  The drive works perfectly on my desktop in WIN 7.  I've tried everything I can think of and the drive just won't load at all in the server.  DISKMGMT and DISKPART will not work on the drive in WHS.
    Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:30 PM
  • As I said, WHS will not use all of  a 3TB drive.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 11:32 PM