Valid windows - WGA problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a version of Windows XP which came pre-loaded with my computer.  The computer was sourced from a reputable retailer, and the computer itself is from a reputable supplied (Dell).  The version of Windows XP is and was valid.

After running Windows update last week, I got a flash on my screen saying that my version of windows was no longer valid, and that I had a volume user licence which had been allegedly revoked.

From speaking to a friend who is an IT professional, it would seem that this problem is a "known" one with WGA - and that what has caused the problem is that when I rebooted my PC to install the Windows Updates, I was offline, and because I was offline, WGA has thought that it failed to validate my copy of windows.

So the question is - how do I fix this and remove the "flashes" from my screen - and allow myself to get future Windows updates?  This seems to be a "known" problem with WGA - so presumably there is an "known" fix to it.  Grateful for advice.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:49 AM

Answers

• HMRC,

Please follow these steps to get the ball rolling:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect it to read "Dell."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:14 PM

All replies

• I am having this same problem, only my system is a Hewlett-Packard.  I too purchased mine new from a reputable retailer.  I have been using this system for four years and have updated the XP Home Edition software numerous times through the Windows Update site.  Never had a problem with validation... always validated just fine.

Yesterday, I decided to clean house on my system and used the system restore feature to take it back to its original shipped state.  Upon completion, I immediately went to Windows Update to obtain all the necessary updates.  Now, XP won't validate.  I have a little blue star down on the toolbar telling me to activate my copy of Windows.  When I click on it, it takes me online and tells me that I need to pay $99 in order to do this.  It does give other options... one being to contact my manufacturer. 

So, I contacted HP tech support and was told that since my system is over a year old, I would have to pay $45/hr for their assistance.  I asked about a recovery cd, and was told that I would have to purchase that also.  I asked why that wasn't included with my system when I purchased it and was told that they do not include them.  I asked about a new product key and was told that they do not give those out.  I was then told to contact Microsoft.

I came to this forum and read the suggestion about updating the product key with the same key that is on the COA on the side of my computer (the Genuine hologram and all other authentic signs are on the label).  Tried this... it didn't work either.

I am losing my mind on this because I can't imagine that HP would install anything but Genuine products.  If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll have to pay the $99, but I want to make sure that I've exhausted all of my options before doing so, since I'm certain my OS is genuine and I have already paid for this product once when I purchased this machine.  Any suggestions???

I think my biggest concern is that I'll go ahead and purchase it and then Microsoft will discover that there really is a bug in their WGA process.  :-(

Here is the info from the diagnostic tool:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B46WP-7H8X8-T2BTW
    Windows Product Key Hash: ZMzNYwuMmoMFpjiWRvg+bbCzjdg=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2114094-46327
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 08c6d9e7-adca-4997-850e-7a1f559df842
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.2.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>08c6d9e7-adca-4997-850e-7a1f559df842</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-T2BTW</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2114094-46327</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1710738407-3179742922-2167395947</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 04</Manufacturer><Model>P6324A-ABA 750C</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>3.02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011122******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>HP PAVILION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>CC1E34E70184C05E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

I appreciate any help you can give me with this.  Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:24 AM
  • HMRC,

Please follow these steps to get the ball rolling:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect it to read "Dell."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:14 PM
  • Susan,

Can you be more specific about how you used System Restore to bring the computer back to its original shipped state?

The reason for my confusion is that the installation of XP on the computer now was done with a systembuilder/OEM XP CDROM, which is reported by the utility on Line 6 as COA/Sysem Builder [sic].  Installations of XP direct from a major manufacturer's factory or done with the manufacturer-supplied recovery solution would have OEM SLP as the entry on Line 6.  This might be the source of the problem.

Suggest that you offload your valuable files, then use the manufacturer's recovery solution (hidden hard disk partition or recovery CDs {but you don't have any}) to properly install the original copy of XP.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:05 PM
  • Susan,

Can you be more specific about how you used System Restore to bring the computer back to its original shipped state?

The reason for my confusion is that the installation of XP on the computer now was done with a systembuilder/OEM XP CDROM, which is reported by the utility on Line 6 as COA/Sysem Builder [sic].  Installations of XP direct from a major manufacturer's factory or done with the manufacturer-supplied recovery solution would have OEM SLP as the entry on Line 6.  This might be the source of the problem.

Suggest that you offload your valuable files, then use the manufacturer's recovery solution (hidden hard disk partition or recovery CDs {but you don't have any}) to properly install the original copy of XP.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:06 PM