Synctoy for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I work remotely, connecting from my home office to the office server via VPN.  At the end of each workday I run Synctoy to sync the files on my Vista machine with the server.  The sync takes a long time but works very well - I haven't noticed any loss of data despite syncing around 85,000 files.  I have purchased Windows 7 Professional, but am yet to install the upgrade because I have read several reports of Synctoy not working well on Windows 7 with large amounts of data.  Unfortunately a reliable sync tool is a deal breaker for me and until I find one I can't install Windows 7.

I work on all files locally rather than running them off the server.  Speed over the VPN is the main reason for this.  Setting up "Offline folders" would be painful because there is something like 85GB of data to sync.

Are there any plans to release a new version of Synctoy compatible with Windows 7?  Or does Windows 7 come with any improved Sync funtionality over that supplied by Vista?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:00 AM

All replies

• SyncToy 2.0 dose compatible with Window7. Just if you want to sync 8500 files, as it will spent a lot of time to sync, during the sync progress, there is maybe some errors happen, and SynToy 2.0 has a known issue, once it failed on one file, it will stop the whole syncing. We have planed to fix this problem in next version SyncToy.

Another suggestion is, before you upgrade your windows to Win7, you may need to re-install SyncToy, you should better have your files be synced completely.
    Or after re-install SyncToy, there may have some problems.

Thanks,
    Ping 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Tried in Win7 x64, hanged in the beginning of the synchronization either with adm privileges or not, either in compatibility mode or not. On Vista x64, works perfectly!

Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this to us, but we did have some try  on  Win7 x64, we did not met such issues. Is it native x64 version Synctoy or with WOW mode?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:34 AM
  • I'm running Windows 7 x 64-bit and as SyncToy was not specifically designed for Windows 7, I changed the SyncToy x64 Installer.exe to run in compatibilty mode for Windows Vista before I installed it. And so far I have not found any problem running it on Windows 7 x 64 bit.

HP Pavillion a6632uk, AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium
    • Proposed as answer by UKTechnoGran Friday, November 13, 2009 9:13 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:13 AM