Can't see Novell Tree after OneCare Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Since installing Live OncCare, cannot browse and see my tree. I've opened slp, port 427 outbound, local network only but still not go. What do I need to do?
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:48 PM

Answers

• I uninstalled it. I really like the product but apparently, it can't be used in a Novell environment.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:25 PM

All replies

• The best I can do for you is to suggest that you contact support as I've not dealt with Novell networking in years. You may also want to check with Novell for information about using their software with firewalls, perhaps they even have information regarding use with OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Out of curiosity, what are you using Novell Networking for?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:25 PM
  • I've already contacted OneCare support and spent about 1.5 hours on chat. We've excluded slp, dns and ncp and it still does not good.

I use SuSE Enterprise server as my server. I have many clients with Novell products, even though we are also Microsoft partners.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Thanks for explaining the reason for using it. I assume that turning off the OneCare firewall completely restores functionality.

Have you touched base with Novell? Did OneCare chat support escalate the problem or did you agree to close the support case as unresolved?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Yes, uninstalling it restores functionality. I did not ask for escalation and did not agree to close the case as unresolved but will when asked.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:58 PM
  • If OneCare support continues working with you and you wish to pursue it, I don't know that you should close the case. I don't think that it can't be configured, it just isn't something that has come up very often.

Did you uninstall OneCare to restore functionality or disable the OneCare firewall only?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:37 PM
  • I uninstalled it. I really like the product but apparently, it can't be used in a Novell environment.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I don't know that I'd say that it can't be used in the Novell environment, but we don't know what changes might need to be made to allow you to see and access the Novell environment. It would seem to me that the firewall blocked it and it may or not be something that can be addressed through configuration of the firewall. Until (or unless) we find out for sure, this thread will stay unanswered. Thanks for trying OneCare out.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:21 PM