Hard Drive Space Problem. RRS feed

• Question

• My server's storage seems to not be migrating data to other drives correctly.  My original 80GB hdd is the OS drive and i just added 2x 1TB drives for storage.  In the 2 weeks since the addition, several 'balances' have taken place but my primary drive is at 99% capacity.  Most of this space is just file storage that should be transferred to the other drives but isn't.

Can somebody explain a solution?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:16 AM

All replies

• My server's storage seems to not be migrating data to other drives correctly.  My original 80GB hdd is the OS drive and i just added 2x 1TB drives for storage.  In the 2 weeks since the addition, several 'balances' have taken place but my primary drive is at 99% capacity.  Most of this space is just file storage that should be transferred to the other drives but isn't.

Can somebody explain a solution?

WHS doesn't "balance" anything.  That is a term used to represent Drive Extender is checking the status of the files and making sure they are duped where appropriate.  Frankly, I wouldn't worry about how much space is used on any drive.  But, if you really want to get the data to move, you should move the files from the server to a client, then put them back again.  When you re-add the data, it will go to one of your secondary drives.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Hi all

Just a quick note, saying to copy all data off server and back again is all ok untill you realise you have such a large amount of data to move.  I allways hate using c: or more to the point the prim hd as data storage, as it makes things a pain when it goes ____ up.  I think what is needed here is a way that we can remove the data from the prim hd so all that is there is the operating system.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:41 AM
  • I agree, the data is just files downloading from uTorrent and the primary drive gets full.  Having to download a few things at a time and moving them off and then back on is a big PITA.  But if its the only way to do it i guess it has to be done.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:10 PM