Home Server Install Problems using MSDN version RRS feed

• Question

• I am an MSDN subscriber and have downloaded WHS.  When I try to boot from the disc it ignores the autorun on the DVD and just boots XP (the machine I am going to reformat and use as a server) and ignores the DVD.....I have tried it with multiple disks and machines...they all do the same....is the MSDN version different than retail ? or am I missing something with the DVD ?  Its 800 megs so it won't fit on a DVD.....  Thanks for any help you can supply
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:31 PM

Answers

• Probably your issue is with how you burned the installation media to disk. The file you downloaded is a .iso file, a disk image, and should be burned directly to a DVD using software capable of burning that type of file to optical media. If you open the file and extract the contents using e.g. WinRAR you won't be able to create a bootable DVD with it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:01 PM

All replies

• Probably your issue is with how you burned the installation media to disk. The file you downloaded is a .iso file, a disk image, and should be burned directly to a DVD using software capable of burning that type of file to optical media. If you open the file and extract the contents using e.g. WinRAR you won't be able to create a bootable DVD with it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Thanks very much Ken....it worked...I thought burning it with Nero would work but I just got an app to burn bootable ISO's and it worked like a charm !  thx you were a big help.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:17 PM