What happened to the category called Bills? RRS feed

• Question

• I just updated to the sunset edition of MS Money.  I was using MS Money 2007.  In that version I had a Bills category with several sub-categories under it.  I remember their was a place I had to go in MS Money to make this category available.  Is it no longer available in the sunset version?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:50 AM

All replies

•  

You could try Tools->Settings->BillSettings and switch to Essential Bills to see if that is what you are looking for.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:10 AM
  • That's not it.  In my MS Money 2007 I had a Bills category listed in the expense categories list.  It had several sub categories listed under it.  It is where  I put the telephone bill, garbage bill, cell phone bill, and electric bill. It actually had those headings.  I know I can create it myself, but it was so nice that it was there.   I remember I had to make a selection for that to happen, but cannot remember what I did and where. 
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:02 PM
  • If you are using your old *.mny file with Sunset, all the the categories you had in your old file should have been retained.  If you are creating a new file, (as I just did to test), the Bills: will appear in the categories list.  It is also in the Sample.mny file. 
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:24 PM
  • You are correct in that my old file categories were retained when I went from MS Money 2007 to the sunset version.  I just created a sample file as well and the bills category is there along with its sub-categories.  I am puzzled as to why it is not there in the file I created for this year.  Alimony and bank charges is not there either.  Since it is early I may delete the file I started and start another new file, making sure all the categories are there before I start entering information.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:49 PM
  • You created a new file (File->New)? I did not understand that. You could export your old bank account with the categories to a loose QIF account from the old file. Then File->Import as a recovered account that QIF file into an account. That brings in the categories in addition to the transactions. Then delete the account that you imported into. That gets rid of the transactions, but the categories are kept. You will probably have to ask a few questions about the categories.

So why would you create a new file? You would normally copy your latest *.mny file to the new computer (Documents folder typically). Then open the *.mny file that you copied over.

On second thought, maybe you want to select Check Tools->Settings->Categories->UseTheDualCategoryDropdownControl. That setting would change how things look to you.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:59 PM
  • I am not finding the Check Tools menu.

Every couple of years I start a completely new file because the old file just gets too large and takes more and more time to load and compress when I exit my program.  Also I find that the archive feature does not remove all the things that I wish it did.  I no longer track my investments using money and really don't mind setting the new file up.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Check should not have been in there. Typo... think I was planning to start a sentence with the verb "Check". However, since you are starting a new file, I would do the QIF bit. 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:20 AM
  • Seems very confusing.  My bank file has other accounts connected to it.  I will  try printing the old category list via print screen function and manually add the categories missing in the new file.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:29 AM
  • That works. Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Categories followed by File->Print will print your categories, and it should give a nicer printout than printScreen.

The QIF method is not complex, but entering the Categories manually will certainly work well.

Also, you might want to consider whether Bills is a category you want to keep. Bills is not something you are spending money on. You are buying phone service, and not a phone bill. You are spending money eating at the restaurant and you are not spending money when you pay your credit card bill.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:41 AM
  • Thanks for your most helpful way to print the categories!

As far as keeping the Bills category, you have me confused between spending and buying.  It's all money I give to someone else, it is money I don't have.  Does not Money list it all as an expense?

Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Your telephone service and your restaurant dealings are indeed expenses. To have Bills under expenses does not seem to add much information. If you instead used Utilities:Telephone and Food:Restaurant as categories, I think those would be better categories than Bills.  I have a category that I use a lot called Misc. Maybe that is what you use your Bills category  for.

I suggest you look at http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q53 Dick Watson explains various theories including making the distinction between cash flow and spending. In fact, you may want to look at other topics there too.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:50 AM
  • That is a very helpful site.  I have saved it as a favorite and will go there often.  Cal Learner, thanks much for all your help
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:16 AM