BSoD with ntfs.sys error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've installed WHS on my MSI ms-6378 mobo with Athlon 1GHz and 512 of RAM (250 + 200 + 160 GB PATA HDDs). It runs really great except for crashing/restarting at least 1x per day... which I think started after adding the 2 additional hard drives and loading them up with stuff.

I usually manage my Home Server through Remote Desktop Connection on my Vista laptop, so I haven't witnessed any of the crashes or blue screen error message, except for one tonight when I plugged in a spare monitor. It indicated an error with ntfs.sys (sorry, I didn't record the whole message).

I think the message at the bottom of this post (found in Event Viewer) is related to the problem I'm having, but I'm not sure. I do have several other types of error messages (mostly from Windows Desktop Search, which I just decided to disable).

If this is a hardware/driver issue (as posters in other forums have indicated), how could I troubleshoot it? Device manager shows no errors, and Driver Genius has gotten me all the latest drivers I'd need...

Thanks a lot,

Garrett

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Ntfs
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 55
    Date:  2/13/2008
    Time:  10:40:29 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume DATA.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you done as the error message says? i.e. run chkdsk on the hard drive(s). It could be that there is a 'duff' sector which the computer is having difficulty reading.

Colin

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:59 PM
  •  

Well, I didn't run chkdsk for two reasons.

1) That was the only time I've seen that error message on the blue screen (it could have happened before, but I use remote desktop, so I wouldn't have seen it). When the system restarts, I get a "system has recovered from a serious error" message, and sending the error report links me to the "how to solve this problem" page from MS. That page indicates that this is a hardware issue...  I just realized last night that although Driver Genius identified motherboard/audio/video drivers that needed to be updated, there was some error when downloading them. I snatched the drivers from another source, and so far no crashes today Smile

2) I use utorrent daily. My download destination is d:\torrents\ which, as I've seen in other threads, can fill hard drives too fast for "Balancing Storage..." to keep up. I've even seen someone recommend to use a drive that's not "added" to your WHS storage for torrent downloads. Although I don't download a whole lot, I can't rule this out as a source of problems. Does anyone have recent info/suggestions about this? All the info I've found about utorrent has been at least 6 months old.

I'll update this thread if my system does run stable from now on. Certainly mobo driver updates would help (duh), so if anyone else is having this prob, make SURE you have updated drivers.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Ugh, Windows error report:

Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

• Random Access Memory (RAM)
    • System board
    • Central Processing Unit (CPU)
    • Power supply

Please ignore this thread if it's not helpful to you.

Although I really like WHS, I think I'd recommend not building your own unless you REALLY know your hardware and all drivers are compatible and you have some time for troubleshooting. "Minimum hardware requirements" mean nothing!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:00 PM