Adding external drives? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 2 internal disks..1 250GB and a new 500GB

they were configured when I loaded whs.

I recently added an external 500GB.  I added the disk to the "pool"

The server storage chart shows that I have over 675GB of free space.

I try and move my music from my current computer to the music folder on whs and it tells me I don't have enough space.

Any ideas?

Friday, October 12, 2007 1:19 AM

All replies

• Microsoft recommends that you use your largest drive as your system drive. I would guess that you used the 250 GB drive, right? In a server with two drives, the second drive in the pool is used for file storage, and backups. The system drive's D: partition is used for duplication, a "landing zone" for files, tombstones (NTFS reparse points, which point to the locations of the files and duplicates), and backups. Most likely you have several large shares marked for duplication, and have swamped your system drive that way. Adding an additional drive may not cause Drive Extender to move the duplicates off to the third drive. The other alternative is that you're trying to move more than about 210 GB of files at once; only space on the D: partition is visible through Explorer on client PCs.

Assuming you filled the D: partition before you added that third drive, you can try turning off duplication for all shares, wait for the WHS Console to report that balancing has finished, then turn it back on and wait again. In a 3 disk server, you should see a significant amount of disk space freed up on the D: partition.

If you're trying to move more than the free space on the D: partition, then you should move the files in batches.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Is there an easy way to reinstall using the internal 500GB?

Also, duplication is turned off for all shares although it started duplicating one befoe I could stop it.

Can I tell where it duplicated and delete the duplicate?

Friday, October 12, 2007 2:55 AM
  • You can't force WHS to use a particular drive as the system drive during the setup process. You have to rearrange drives internally so that the BIOS presents the right one as the first available drive.

When you turn off duplication, Drive Extender will remove the duplicate files, so there shouldn't be any duplicates left. When you added the external 500 GB drive, DE should have begun the process of moving files off of the system drive, but some testers have reported that they had to restart WHS to "kick start" DE into that process.

That assumes that you have only manipulated files through the network shares. If you've worked with your files using Remote Desktop and D:\Shares (something the documentation warns against), you may have interfered with Drive Extender's functions. In that case, you will have to remove your files from the server, then put them back. It's possible to identify them, but it's a manual process, and it's unlikely to take as long to move everything and put it back as it will to figure out which files to remove and get just those.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 11:39 AM