Can you sync just one or two subfolders of Favorites? RRS feed

• Question

• So with Live Sync I could specify subfolders of my Favorites to be synced to other computers.  With Live Mesh, is my only option all or nothing?

Specifically, I have a "work links" subfolder in my Favorites on my home computer.  I don't want all of my personal links synced over to my work box - but want the links from my work box available on my home computer...

Monday, October 4, 2010 5:53 PM

Answers

• Are you talking about Live Mesh beta at www.mesh.com? I assume that you mean Windows Live Mesh, part of Windows Live Essentials 2011, formerly Live Sync. Discussion for that is at http://windowslivehelp.com

However, the answer is that you can configure the whole Favorites folder tree or any part thereof. You cannot use the Favorites sync offered to you via the new Windows Live Mesh for partial, though, you would need to configure the branches as unique sync relationships as folders. If you choose to sync the whole Favorites tree, you cannot then also sync a branch within the tree or you have set up a recursive sync relationship that can have bad consequences.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about Live Mesh beta at www.mesh.com? I assume that you mean Windows Live Mesh, part of Windows Live Essentials 2011, formerly Live Sync. Discussion for that is at http://windowslivehelp.com

However, the answer is that you can configure the whole Favorites folder tree or any part thereof. You cannot use the Favorites sync offered to you via the new Windows Live Mesh for partial, though, you would need to configure the branches as unique sync relationships as folders. If you choose to sync the whole Favorites tree, you cannot then also sync a branch within the tree or you have set up a recursive sync relationship that can have bad consequences.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:17 AM
  • To expand specific to your scenario, for a work and home PC being the only PCs in your Mesh, you would add the Work Favorites as a folder on the work PC and then on the home PC, you point the sync to a folder called Work Favorites, which is a branch in your Favorites. You do not then want to also sync the parent Favorites on the home PC to your Mesh for availability on other PCs to avoid the recursive sync as you cannot exclude the Work Favorites branch.

-steve

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Yeah, that is the way I do it with (the-soon-to-be-retired) Live Sync.

But when I attempt to add a subfolder of my Favorites with Windows LiveMesh (ie: WorkFavorites) as a sync folder ("Sync a folder"), I get a pop-up error message that says, "Sorry, your favorites can't be synced this way.  To sync your favorites, under Program settings and Internet Explorer, click Turn on syncing."

• Edited by MichaelBaker Friday, October 15, 2010 4:48 PM Clarification
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:46 PM
  • I'll have to check this out, TheMunkee. I sync all of my favorites, so was not aware that Windows Live Mesh stupidly blocked adding Favorites or a subset of them as sync folders except by using the UI selection to sync them. Best to head over to the Windows Live Mesh forums to discuss this, though. 

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Yeah, posted over there.. got a reply that basically says "all or nothing" on the favorites.  How is that better than Live Sync?  Horrible solution!
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for the update. I suggest that you request this functionality and advertise in your thread at windowslivehelp that you have done so as I'm sure others also want this.

http://feedback.live.com to submit feedback for this.

-steve

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:32 PM