Move WHS data to new server hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I've been running WHS for about a week now and I love it but the hardware I used is struggling a little so I want to rebuild it. On to my questions

- Can I essentially move all my disks from my old server to the new one and simply perform a 'Server Reinstall' to recover the data? I'm aware about OEM software being locked to hardware but I haven't activated WHS yet so this doesn't apply

- Does it matter if the hard disks are plugged into a different IDE/SATA channel on the new machine? Doesn't DE expect the drives to be on a particular disk number?

- Could I, once I've moved over to the new hardware, change my primary disk from the current 250GB to a much larger one?

Oh, and in case it's important, I have 5 physical disks in my machine and Duplication is enabled for all the data

Cheers

James

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:35 PM

Answers

•  spib wrote:
    - Can I essentially move all my disks from my old server to the new one and simply perform a 'Server Reinstall' to recover the data? I'm aware about OEM software being locked to hardware but I haven't activated WHS yet so this doesn't apply

Yes

spib wrote:
    - Does it matter if the hard disks are plugged into a different IDE/SATA channel on the new machine? Doesn't DE expect the drives to be on a particular disk number?

No, DE puts a signature on each disk and tracks them by the signature.

spib wrote:
    - Could I, once I've moved over to the new hardware, change my primary disk from the current 250GB to a much larger one?

Yes

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:45 PM

All replies

•  spib wrote:

Yes

spib wrote:

No, DE puts a signature on each disk and tracks them by the signature.

spib wrote:

Yes

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Excellent. Thanks for the prompt response
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:33 AM
  • I don't remember seeing a 'Server Reinstall' option during the install - where can you make that selection?

Friday, November 2, 2007 8:07 PM
  • During the installation process, you should see a drop down box with new installation or server reinstallation which you can select. You will only see server reinstallation if there is a current installation though.

Andrew

Friday, November 2, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Just an additional question about this. How can I tell if the data has successfully been duplicated so I can remove the syste, disk?

All my shares show as healthy with duplication on all of them and the server isn't balancing but I checked some of the server log files and I see some errors with logn filenames etc. I'd hate to replace the system drive and find my whole system hosed Smile
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:53 AM
  • If the server isn't balancing, then any shared file on your system disk (assuming your server isn't full, and excluding files taht are part of the backup database) should be a duplicate of a file on another disk. To make sure every file that should be is duplicated, I would correct all the long filename errors you're seeing before pulling the system disk.
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Can I ask one further question on this?

I started to replace my old PATA system disk today with a new SATA one and as I was going through the setup procedure, I noticed that even though my new disk is set as the bootable disk in the bios, it shows up in the setup procedure as Disk 3. During setup WHS didn't seem to offer me the choice of which disk to install on so am I right in thinking that it will automatically installed on disk 0? In which case this will not work for me because the PATA disks are counted before the SATA ones in my bios.

Is there a way around this?
    Monday, November 5, 2007 7:14 PM
  •  

You might be out of luck - but I'm not 100% sure.  Most BIOS setups where you're in Standard IDE mode versus AHCI (or RAID) tend to have the PATA's as the first primary and first secondary - I gave up on PATA's - even though BIOS will allow you to run in Enhanced Mode, I don't think you can take full advantage of features like NCQ which tend to make a noticeable difference in disk performance - I just installed the SATA drivers using F6 during the install - that would definitely work for you.

good luck!

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:18 PM
  • You are mostly right. WHS Setup will choose the first disk of sufficient size presented to it by the BIOS as the system disk. That can only be controlled through boot order changes in the BIOS (if your BIOS offers that capability) or through swapping disks around onto different connectors.

In your case, you might be able to force your new disk to be the system disk by connecting it to SATA channel 1 (or 0, if your MB starts at 0).
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I'm trying to do the same thing but it doesn't allow me to pick anything but "new installation"! I don't know why.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Nevermind, somehow now it worked.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 11:26 PM
  • you could also just set the default Boot drive in the bios as the boot drive will always be the first disk it sees

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:08 AM