Cannot download initial setup file RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my new HP Mediasmart server today (ex485) and I was very excited. I unboxed it, plugged in the ethernet and power and threw the setup cd in my computer. It located the server but when it gets to "Downloading software from your home server HPSERVER, 0% complete" it doesn't get any further and then just gives me a error:
    "This operation cannot be completed at this time.
    Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product support"

I also tried downloading the WHSConnectorinstall.exe from http://<my server IP's address>:55000
    I get the web page and download the exe but then I just get the same error as above.

After trying just about everything I could find I went ahead and restored the server back to factory defaults using the disk that came with the server. After doing that I am right back to where I started.

Can someone please help me out? I don't want to have to contect HP to send this back.

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:04 AM

Answers

• I got it to work. I was using my work laptop because that is my main computer and my wife's tablet doesn't have a CD drive.
    I brought the server back to work and found a computer that wasn't joined to my works domain and tried the setup there. Everything worked just fine. So there is a problem with either my domain policies not allowing the download or a problem when the WHS is on a workgroup and the first setup client is on a domain.
    I hope this helps someone. I posted a screenshot and solution I found on my site if anyone is interested.
    http://1n73r.net/2009/02/05/windows-home-server-install-error
    • Marked as answer by xrothgarx Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:51 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• xrothgarx said:

I just got my new HP Mediasmart server today (ex485) and I was very excited. I unboxed it, plugged in the ethernet and power and threw the setup cd in my computer. It located the server but when it gets to "Downloading software from your home server HPSERVER, 0% complete" it doesn't get any further and then just gives me a error:
    "This operation cannot be completed at this time.
    Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product support"

I also tried downloading the WHSConnectorinstall.exe from http://<my server IP's address>:55000
    I get the web page and download the exe but then I just get the same error as above.

After trying just about everything I could find I went ahead and restored the server back to factory defaults using the disk that came with the server. After doing that I am right back to where I started.

Can someone please help me out? I don't want to have to contect HP to send this back.

Thanks in advance.

You might try temporarily disabling the firewall(s) on your computer and see if it helps.  If that doesn't work, try unplugging the cable between your router and your modem.

In any event, you should contact HP for support with your product (after all, you paid for it ;)  ).
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Oh, I forgot to mention I already turned off my firewall. I also tried this on two different networks (home and work). My work network was already disconnected from the internet. I can't believe I am going to be spending my lunch on the phone with HP support cause my brand new mediasmart server won't let me install it.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:28 AM
  • xrothgarx said:

Oh, I forgot to mention I already turned off my firewall. I also tried this on two different networks (home and work). My work network was already disconnected from the internet. I can't believe I am going to be spending my lunch on the phone with HP support cause my brand new mediasmart server won't let me install it.

Did you create a password for your server?  If so, was it a strong password (at least 7 characters long and 3 of the 4 following types of characters: upper case letter, lower case letter, number, and punctuation)?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:33 AM
  • I never even got to a screen to create a password. Past the "downloading file" I was never prompted to input a password, username, or anything. It just errors out.
    I tried connecting to samba shares to download the install files manually but it continues to ask for a username and password that I never gave it. I tried administrator with blank password and "password" for the password but I can't get in.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Hi,
    maybe you should really contact Product Support as mentioned in the message. Since this is a new version of the server, the CD delivered from HP (or the configuration on the server) may have an undiscovered bug. Without a password you cannot access the console.

You also could try to pull the connection to the Internet from the router (you might have a scenario, that the server name gets resolved in the Internet instead of in your home and therefore the connection fails) and reboot both systems (server and client).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:37 AM
  • I got it to work. I was using my work laptop because that is my main computer and my wife's tablet doesn't have a CD drive.
    I brought the server back to work and found a computer that wasn't joined to my works domain and tried the setup there. Everything worked just fine. So there is a problem with either my domain policies not allowing the download or a problem when the WHS is on a workgroup and the first setup client is on a domain.
    I hope this helps someone. I posted a screenshot and solution I found on my site if anyone is interested.
    http://1n73r.net/2009/02/05/windows-home-server-install-error
    • Marked as answer by xrothgarx Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:51 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:51 PM