Must be logged on as administrator for backup to run?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up Onecare on my young son's laptop. When I am logged in (as administrator) the backup works fine, however when he is logged on then the backup does not seem to run automatically. It is set to run the same time everyday. When I try to do this manually  (with my son logged in) I get the following message;

"The action could not be performed"

"Windows live Onecare cannot perform this action for you. You must be logged on as administrator on this computer to perform this action"

Clearly I want the back up to run automatically regardless of who is logged in. Have I got something set incorrectly? I am backing up to a network storage drive, for which everyone has permission.

Surely I don't have to give my son administrator rights for the the back up to occur? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:29 PM

Answers

• I did a little more research as I recall a message I received from the OneCare team related to permissions a while back.

What you are encountering *is* expected for a Network Share from any PC in v2.x. In order for backup to function, the user must have Admin privileges on the local PC when backup runs.

The developer I received the message from offered the following to try, but noted that he had not tested this:

Possible workaround for v2: I’ve not tried this but may be this works:

1.       Map the network share using the admin credentials and keep it

2.       Or open an admin command prompt and leave it. For that, type cmd in your “Start Search”, cmd will appear, press shift, right click cmd and then Run as. Then give admin credentials to open cmd in admin mode

I'm not quite clear what is meant by the second offered suggestion. Even if that worked, I can't see having an open Command prompt in the background on your son's laptop with admin credentials to be a viable solution.

I anticipate seeing a public beta of v3 of OneCare later this year or early next year, with release probably sometime in early to mid 2009, based on the previous release patterns we've seen for OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• Did you configure backup to run Centralized Backup and the PC that you are using is configured to be a Hub PC? If so, yes, the backup can only run if an administrator is logged in.

I don't think that backing up a single PC to a network Share (not using Centralized backup) *should* require an admin to be logged in, but since backing up to NAS devices is really hit or miss in OneCare v2.x, I wouldn't be surprised by this. You can see loads of open threads on backup to NAS devices in this forum. I remain hopeful that they have addressed these issues with the next version of Onecare, currently in development.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy response. No, I have not configured backup to run centralised backup. I just used network share and pointed to the NAS device.  Works fine with adminstrator privileges amd has been like that for 18 months. Now I have added my son as a standard user with his own notebook I have noticed backups not occcuring from his machine.

I'll check out the other threads. When is the next revision of Onecare due for release?

Cheers Ian

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:22 PM
  • I did a little more research as I recall a message I received from the OneCare team related to permissions a while back.

What you are encountering *is* expected for a Network Share from any PC in v2.x. In order for backup to function, the user must have Admin privileges on the local PC when backup runs.

The developer I received the message from offered the following to try, but noted that he had not tested this:

Possible workaround for v2: I’ve not tried this but may be this works:

1.       Map the network share using the admin credentials and keep it

2.       Or open an admin command prompt and leave it. For that, type cmd in your “Start Search”, cmd will appear, press shift, right click cmd and then Run as. Then give admin credentials to open cmd in admin mode

I'm not quite clear what is meant by the second offered suggestion. Even if that worked, I can't see having an open Command prompt in the background on your son's laptop with admin credentials to be a viable solution.

I anticipate seeing a public beta of v3 of OneCare later this year or early next year, with release probably sometime in early to mid 2009, based on the previous release patterns we've seen for OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I'll add that backup configured as Centralized Backup with a locally attached disk on the hub machine will work with your son's laptop login being a limited user. It won't with a NAS device as the destination in Centralized backup. I don't know if it will work if you map a drive to the NAS from the Hub PC and then configure Centralized backup to use that Shared mapping.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:43 PM