Can't Stream a Video to XBox 360 but can view it from USB drive in XBOX 360? Why? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a video file (.avi) that according to GSpot was encoded with "XviD ISO MPEG-4" and I can view the video when reading off of a USB Flash drive plugged directly into the Xbox but when I try to stream the same file I get  the following error code telling me that it may not be supported.  Why would I be able to view the file locally from the flash drive but not be able to stream it???  Any ideas???

Status code: 69-C00D36BE 

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

•  AVI itself is a multimedia container which stores video and audio content that was created by a codec and must also be decoded (played) with a codec. So generally, Yes, the Xbox 360 console does support the playback of AVI files. The Fall 2007 multimedia update for the Xbox 360 console added support for DivX and XviD video. Through tests we performed at AfterDawn, we find however, that subtitle support is evasive right now, but we are confident that Microsoft will fix this major problem soon. 

The Xbox 360 console supports AVI files with DivX video or XviD video directly (that is, you can play them without any special processes in between from DVDUSBWiFi etc.) including High-Definition material. As for audio, the console supports decoding stereo MP3 audio and stereo or multi-channel AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio inside the AVI container. This level of support means that the majority of all AVI files you will find around the Internet will work with the Xbox 360 console.

Otherwise the device or company you are using to stream may not be compatible with AVI files. Please find out if it is and then respond.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I am using a ReadyNAS and DLNA to stream it so let me check with them and determine if the NAS device is the problem.  Thanks again.

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:25 PM
  • I had a similar issue with D-Link's DNS-320, and the issue was resolved by moving videos to parent folder. Seemed that the path was too long or something. Try that and see if it works.

Since your post is more than a year old you probably have resolved it by now, but anyway, this was one of the first links in the search result when I was researching the issue so might help someone else.

A little bit more details here:

http://www.digitalmihailo.com/post/fixing-69-c00d36be-error-when-playing-video-on-xbox-360

Cheers,

Mihailo

• Edited by Mihailo Friday, February 3, 2012 10:51 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 10:50 AM