Hard drive appear as "Missing" at random times RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Here is another weird WHS issue.  I have numerous hard drives in my server.  Some are run by an Adaptec AAR-1420 SA and Adaptec ARA-1430SA RAID cards.  They operate in JBOD mode and every drive has been properly added using WHS Console.

I know it has to be something with one of the Adaptem cards.  When I look in Event Viewer, I get the following:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: PlugPlayManager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 12

Date: 1/30/2010

Time: 6:03:48 AM

User: N/A

Computer: OUTHOUSE-MAIN

Description:

The device 'ST315003 41AS SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST315003&Prod_41AS&Rev_CC1H\6&4795c9&0&000300) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: aar81xx

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11

Date: 1/29/2010

Time: 8:27:09 PM

User: N/A

Computer: OUTHOUSE-MAIN

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\aar81xx2.

----------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do.  If I restart the server, my hard drives appear fine.  Then, all of a sudden, at random times, one of the hard drives (not always the same one) appears as missing.

Any clues on how to fix this short of buying a new SATA card?

Thanks!

Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:37 PM

Answers

• You could also be having power issues. If your power supply isn't brand new it's no longer producing all the power it was originally rated for (if it ever did). Or you could have overloaded one of the rails, resulting in almost enough power to some (or all) of your hard drives.

But if one of your HBAs is unreliable, replace it. Don't spend any time trying to work around the problem. Why would you trust your precious data to flaky hardware?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:47 PM