Olap Cube - Build Error Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to build the OLAP cube in project 2010 I receive the following error:

[2/15/2011 3:45 PM] Process OLAP database session started

===== Process Completed =====

[2/15/2011 3:46 PM] Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: Failed to process the Analysis Services database PRJ_2010Cube on the vrscsql6 server. Error: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. ; 08001.

Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Project Reporting data source', Name of 'Project Reporting data source'.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'PRJ_2010Cube', Name of 'Deliverable Created Date' was being processed.

Server: The operation has been cancelled.

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.; 08001; Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. ; 08001.

Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Project Reporting data source', Name of 'Project Reporting data source'.

Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'PRJ_2010Cube', Name of 'Task Is Milestone' was being processed.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• We ran into the exact same issue and also deployed our whole SharePoint 2010 environment using SQL Aliases.  I got around the issue by also creating the SQL Alias entry on my Analysis Services Server using the cliconfg utility.  Once that was done it worked fine.

I guess the issue was that the Analysis Services Server wasn't able to resolve the SQL Server from the Alias provided, which it was passed from the Project Server.

Marc

• Proposed as answer by Marc_Lange Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander.Burton Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Edmund:

Given that nobody is jumping in with ideas, I suggest that you open a case with Microsoft Support.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:34 PM

All replies

• This is just a hunch, but are your Analysis Services installation and Database Engine installation on different servers?  If so, this might be because Analysis Services cannot connect to its data source for processing the cubes (i.e. the Reporting Database).

The easiest way to fix this (if this is the case), would be to have your Analysis Services start up with a domain account that has DB_DATAREADER permission to the ProjectServer_Reporting DB. 

http://blogs.umtsa.co.za/nicoo
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:07 PM
  • In all cases, whether on one server or two, the service account running analysis services must have DB_Datareader role on the Project Server Reporting database. With that said, the error this causes is usually very obvious, like "x-account can't connect." The timeouts in the error message indicate something deeper because the cube starts to process.

I'm thinking some corruption in the OLAP DB is more likely the culprit. Is this the first time building a cube on this system? If not, what happens if you try to build a differnt cube?

Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I actually disagree with you Gary :)  If the DB Engine and AS is on the same server and both start up with Local System I have not yet had issues with them authenticating to each other.

This is the part that triggered me:

This tells me that AS cannot connect to the data source for some reason.

http://blogs.umtsa.co.za/nicoo
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Nicco:

Looking again, I think you are right. The lines like "An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'PRJ_2010Cube', Name of 'Task Is Milestone' was being processed" are probably spurious. It doesn't look like an account issue, perhaps the server name/instance is entered incorrectly or the SQL Network settings were not configured or not configured properly.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:38 PM
  • The processing connects to SSAS, but fails with timeout when creating the schema inside the CUBES.

Also, this the first time we've used the Build cube function from the Server Settings-OLAP Database Management.

<!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style> <!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style>
    • Edited by EdmundFL Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:45 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Edmund:

Given that nobody is jumping in with ideas, I suggest that you open a case with Microsoft Support.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hi Edmund

Are there any news?
    I have the same problem on a virgin Project Server 2010.

Thanks
    Steffen

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:59 AM
  • New thoughts.

I have deployed the whole SharePoint 2010 farm with SQL Aliases.

I also tried to create Project Server OLAP Cube to create with the SQL Alias, but with error.

After using SQL Host name the cube will be crated but cannot access data source in next steps.

After testing connection to the data source I get again the same error related to SQL Aliases.

All SQL Aliases are registered like on Share Point Server.

How can I AS enable to use SQL Aliases?

When I testing connection with hostname I get a successful.

Steffen

• Proposed as answer by Marc_Lange Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marc_Lange Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:15 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:26 AM
  • We ran into the exact same issue and also deployed our whole SharePoint 2010 environment using SQL Aliases.  I got around the issue by also creating the SQL Alias entry on my Analysis Services Server using the cliconfg utility.  Once that was done it worked fine.

I guess the issue was that the Analysis Services Server wasn't able to resolve the SQL Server from the Alias provided, which it was passed from the Project Server.

Marc

• Proposed as answer by Marc_Lange Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander.Burton Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Can you elaborate further on your solution...

how does analysis server know whcih SQL alias to pick up?

Nevermind!

*UPDATE*

You were right Marc!

I added the SQL Server Alias that I configured on the SharePOint server on the analysis server using CLICONFG and AS is now able to resolve the SQL server... I guess Project Server passes the Alias name to the Reporitn Database within the Connection params to Analysis Server and AS needs to know how to resolve the Alias

:-)

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I just ran into this issue myself and can confirm the alias is the way to go.

In my case there was a database move behind the scenes which leveraged an alias,  Project Server was still configured on the old DB Server and seems to pass that server name into the AS instance for the cubes. Setting up the alias on the AS box addressed this.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Thank you Marc, it worked for me too

Tamim ALKhiamy

Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:27 AM