WHS 2011 Restore Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently moved to WHS 2011. Prior to installing WHS 2011 i uninstalled the old version and rebooted. The install then went through with no problems and backups have worked fine but i have a problem with the restore.

When i try and restore i get a message that the driver was blocked and i can see in device manager that the Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver has an exclamation mark and says "Windows cannot initialize the devire driver for this device (Code 37).

I completely removed this driver, uninstalled the connector, rebooted and installed the connector again and i am still faced with the same problem where the driver will not initialise. The driver version is 6.1.8800.16384

In the system log i see the following messages

The driver \Driver\BackupReader failed to load for the device ROOT\BACKUPREADER\INSTANCE

File System Filter 'BackupReader' (Version 6.1, ‎2011‎-‎02‎-‎22T05:59:15.000000000Z) failed to register with Filter Manager. The final status for this operation was 0xc01c0011.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (build 7601) with all the latest patches.

Can anyone help?

Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

• Just fixed it!

After a bit of poking around in minidriver documentation and looking in the driver's .inf file, I noticed the Altitude was defined as

Instance1.Altitude      = "370030"

so I located the Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BackupReader\Instances\BackupReaderInstance

and changed the Altitude setting from '370030' to '370031'

Works fine now!

Dermot

• Marked as answer by ACALVETT Monday, June 6, 2011 10:59 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:05 PM

All replies

• First thing that comes to mind; is the target drive ok?

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Nothing wrong with target drive. The errors all relate to the Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver which won't load due to the errors stated previously so i imagine once that is fixed it should work but how to fix it?
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Anyone able to help? :)
    Monday, June 6, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

I've just come across this as well. I decided to try a test restore from the Home Server to my PC - it's just as well I did because it seems I can't.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and it looks like some sort of driver collision. The error is this:

STATUS_FLT_INSTANCE_ALTITUDE_COLLISION

but I have no good idea about how to fix it. I would guess that a parameter needs to be added to the driver database in the registry to fix this - but I don't know which one or how to go about it. I certainly don't want to try experimenting with my registry in this area, so I guess some sort of input from MS is necessary.

Dermot

Monday, June 6, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Just fixed it!

After a bit of poking around in minidriver documentation and looking in the driver's .inf file, I noticed the Altitude was defined as

Instance1.Altitude      = "370030"

so I located the Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BackupReader\Instances\BackupReaderInstance

and changed the Altitude setting from '370030' to '370031'

Works fine now!

Dermot

• Marked as answer by ACALVETT Monday, June 6, 2011 10:59 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I don't know what that altitude setting does but it fixed my problem as well!

After making the registry change i disabled and enabled the driver in device manager and this time when enabling it came up fine! I then tested the restore and its all working!

Thank you Dermot!

Monday, June 6, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I don't know what that altitude setting does but it fixed my problem as well!

After making the registry change i disabled and enabled the driver in device manager and this time when enabling it came up fine! I then tested the restore and its all working!

Thank you Dermot!

Unfortunately although I have teh same issue this fix does not work for me. ANy chance of bit of an explanation of how you arrived at this fix Dermot? I might then be able to figure out why it doesn't work for me. I am a developer so hopefully able to follow technical stuff ;-). Thanks.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I did similar research as Dermothogan (researched the File System Minifilter Drivers, very interesting, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg462968) and came to the same conclusion that it is an altitude collision.  Essentially every filter needs to be registered using a unique altitude.

You can list what filters are currently loaded to find out what the culprit is, for me it was Rapport, a product by Trusteer.  Just open a command window, make sure you run as administrator, and run fltmc.exe:

C:\Windows\system32>fltmc

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
    ------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
    RapportCerberus_29574                   6       370031         0
    RapportPG64                             6       370030         0
    MpFilter                                6       328000         0
    luafv                                   1       135000         0
    FileInfo                                6        45000         0

As you can see for me 370030 & 370031 are taken by Rapport.  So I just bumped the registry value up to 370032, disabled and enabled the driver again a viola!

Hope this helps someone, as I wasted a couple hours on this.

• Proposed as answer by AndyWak Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:05 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Thank you so mach jarcraig. Worked for me. Spent hours researching this one.

Windows 7 x64

Saturday, September 3, 2011 10:05 AM
  • JarCraig - Very interesting. Looks like mine was down to Rapport as well.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Yes, this worked for me. Rapport installed. Changed to 370032 and now all fine.

I've attempted to report this to both MS and Rapport. I thought MS were supposed to allocate Altitudes in which case either Rapport have not followed protocol, MS Server division have not followed protocol or MS MiniDriver division have issued the same altitude twice.

Many thanks.

• Edited by pabhudds Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:38 PM
  • ... I thought MS were supposed to allocate Altitudes ...

From the filter driver developer guide:

"Altitudes for commercially released minifilter drivers will be assigned by Microsoft."

I've asked Microsoft to confirm that they obtained their altitude through proper channels. Could someone (anyone) experiencing this issue bug it on Connect in the meantime?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:34 PM