Prompting for "turning on MS Automatic Updates" is a nusicance, and undesired RRS feed

• General discussion

• After having my PC 'crashed" twice in the last two years by defective "automatic updates" that had been issued by Microsoft, personally I would not activate the "Windows Automatic Update Service".  Let someone else go through the hassles of that trouble.  (Last time, Microsoft's tech support spent 4.5 - 6 hours working with me on the telephone to resolve the problems . . . and I finally had to just reformat and reload the PC.)  Microsoft ADMITTED that the PC crash was the result of a defective software update.  (Later they made a public announcement about there having been a "bad virus going around" . . . that was a good "cover" for the defective software update that they had inadvertently put out.)

So, I FIRMLY believe that Live OneCare should provide an option to "opt out of having that 'reminder' repeatedly displayed.

I think that I can remember to check the status of updates that have been released, at least on a weekly basis.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Windows Automatic Update services???

Friday, August 15, 2008 8:00 PM

All replies

• I have not had any problems or hassle with updates but I have updates set to automatically install on Monday.  As 90+% of updates are the 'second Tuesday' updates that gives you a week to check for and select those updates.  The odd out of sequence one might catch you out but OneCare stays green.  I guess that's a manually automatic method :-)

I get the monthly Advanced Warning and Bulletin Summary by e-mail distribution and read the linked on-line full version and onward linked KB894199 Windows Updates list and the Non-Windows Updates list so few surprises. When I'm ready I start the installations, usually daytime the second Wednesday being in the UK.

Tom.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:10 AM
  • my one care is saying that my com.is missing updates but updates says it is not is it just that i havnt bought a subscription

Sunday, August 17, 2008 12:55 PM
  •  jeff_o27@live.com wrote:

my one care is saying that my com.is missing updates but updates says it is not is it just that i havnt bought a subscription

If OneCare says you are missing important or critical updates for Windows, there's either a problem with the catalog for Windows Updates on your PC or you are missing updates -- with the latter being the most likely.

See the Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 for help with Windows Update or contact OneCare support for hep:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:48 PM