Attach a USB scanner to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'd like to attach a USB photo scanner to the WHS usb port and share it on the network. Right now I have it attached to one pc but always need to turn the computer on to use it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to configure this? Thanks.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi, I'd like to attach a USB photo scanner to the WHS usb port and share it on the network. Right now I have it attached to one pc but always need to turn the computer on to use it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to configure this? Thanks.
    Connecting any printer/scanner/other similar device to WHS is unsupported (since it would require logging into the server desktop).  The better course of action would be to get either A) a network-enabled MFP or B) a USB-to-LAN conversion device and connect it to your LAN that way (providing the scanner software you plan on using supports network scanning).  Having said that, it might be possible to do provided you install only the drivers needed for scanning (not the full "suite" that usually comes with products like that).  As for the other hurdles that would undoubtedly come up by doing what you want to do, you might have to deal with those as they happen (since, again, what you want to do is unsupported).
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Consumer level foto scanners are most likely not delivered with drivers, which are capable to share the device over network.
    You also do not want everybody to logon to the server desktop as administrator, not only because it is unsupported, but also because it is a security risk for the data integrity and things may break seriously.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, November 16, 2009 10:33 AM