Installation of 'restorecd.msi' failed. RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have downloaded the restorecd.msi file (German version) for Windows Home Server and Homecomputers. I tried to install it on a Windows XP SP3 system, but the installation failed with something like this: the necessary file "cis.cab" is damaged and cannot be used.

I can cancel, retry or ignore the warning, but whatever I choose, the installation fails.

What can I do now?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:05 PM

All replies

1. Download again.
    2. Try on a different computer
    3. Third, run chkdsk /r on the computer you tried on initially (do that anyway if downloading a second time results in the same error on the initial computer).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I have a slow internet connection with limited volume (1 GB per week). So I must wait until next week before I can try to download the restorecd.msi again.

Tomorrow I try an installation on a different computer.

I started with a reboot and chkdsk /r. After that I tried to install again, but with the same error message.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Perhaps you can try and download the file from a location which has a fast internet connection (office, internet cafe, library)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:32 AM
  • I have just tried an installation on another freshly installed computer. Same error message. The downloaded file is probably corrupt.
    I have downloaded it in my office. I don’t know an internet café nearby. Libraries in Germany don’t offer free internet access.
    I’ll try it next week again.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:18 AM