bios update on whs machine RRS feed

• Question

• My current bios, which is about 6 updates behind, doensn't have the ability to change the modes for the sata drives. They appear to be in legacy mode by default. I noticed that the feature to change modes was added in a later bios update. My system drive is ide, and the two strorage pool drives are sata.  I have never updated a bios before, but I downloaded the bios update .exe file from the intel site for my system. My question is, can I run that file from the WHS desktop to update the bios? I installed the network drivers by running an .exe file from there, but wasn't sure about the bios. I searched the forum and the web, but didn't find anything helpful. I just installed whs yesterday, so I don't have anything on there that couldn't be replaced. Will the difference be noticeable with the sata turned on for the storage pool drives? I want to stream media from the server.
    Intel® Server Board SE7520AF2
    320GB IDE system drive
    750GB SATA storage (1) -
    750GB SATA storage (2)

Thanks in advance,
    Troy
    Friday, June 5, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• My current bios, which is about 6 updates behind, doensn't have the ability to change the modes for the sata drives. They appear to be in legacy mode by default. I noticed that the feature to change modes was added in a later bios update. My system drive is ide, and the two strorage pool drives are sata.  I have never updated a bios before, but I downloaded the bios update .exe file from the intel site for my system. My question is, can I run that file from the WHS desktop to update the bios? I installed the network drivers by running an .exe file from there, but wasn't sure about the bios. I searched the forum and the web, but didn't find anything helpful. I just installed whs yesterday, so I don't have anything on there that couldn't be replaced. Will the difference be noticeable with the sata turned on for the storage pool drives? I want to stream media from the server.
    320GB IDE system drive
    750GB SATA storage (1) -
    750GB SATA storage (2)

Thanks in advance,
    Troy

FYI, perhaps Evaders99 looked up that specific mobo (I didn't), but there are some mobos (including mine) that require you flash the BIOS before you boot into the OS (that's the only reason why my server has a floppy drive. :)  )
    • Marked as answer by azperkins Friday, June 5, 2009 8:40 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:10 AM
  • For best compatibility and the most seamless experience should you require a server reinstallation you should leave your SATA drives in legacy mode. You are giving up a certain amount of theoretical performance by doing so, but other bottlenecks in the overal system (network latency, Drive Extender overhead, etc.) will mask that. So unless you're experiencing some real issue which the BIOS update is going to fix, and you're willing to accept that you might have some other issue as a result, I would keave it alone.

If you decide to proceed anyway, I would still recommend not updating the BIOS unless you attach a physical monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Some motherboards require the update to be run from a DOS prompt, and some do it as part of the BIOS boot process. In practically every case, even if you can run the BIOS update in Windows, you will need to do so from a physical console anyway, as not all software can be run from within a Remote Desktop session.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:06 PM

All replies

• Yes you can run the bios .exe from the desktop. You may need to use remote desktop to get in

I doubt you would get any noticeable benefit to your media streaming, but AHCI will support hotswapping and Native Command Queuing.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:35 AM
    320GB IDE system drive
    750GB SATA storage (1) -
    750GB SATA storage (2)

Thanks in advance,
    Troy

FYI, perhaps Evaders99 looked up that specific mobo (I didn't), but there are some mobos (including mine) that require you flash the BIOS before you boot into the OS (that's the only reason why my server has a floppy drive. :)  )
    • Marked as answer by azperkins Friday, June 5, 2009 8:40 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:10 AM
  • thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can find out.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:26 AM
  • For best compatibility and the most seamless experience should you require a server reinstallation you should leave your SATA drives in legacy mode. You are giving up a certain amount of theoretical performance by doing so, but other bottlenecks in the overal system (network latency, Drive Extender overhead, etc.) will mask that. So unless you're experiencing some real issue which the BIOS update is going to fix, and you're willing to accept that you might have some other issue as a result, I would keave it alone.

If you decide to proceed anyway, I would still recommend not updating the BIOS unless you attach a physical monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Some motherboards require the update to be run from a DOS prompt, and some do it as part of the BIOS boot process. In practically every case, even if you can run the BIOS update in Windows, you will need to do so from a physical console anyway, as not all software can be run from within a Remote Desktop session.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Thank you, everything is running great. If it's not going to make a big difference on performance, I will leave it as is. No snags so far.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:39 PM