none
Handles count in Windows Task Manager RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Task Manager, I used View->SelectColumns to add the Handles column.

Looking at the Processes tab, Money Plus (process msmoney.exe) increments the handle count 1 or more per second, depending on what page I am on. I don't know if this is affected by me using the Windows Firewall to block Money from direct Internet access.

I often leave Money open for a long period, although recently I have switched to closing and reopening each Saturday.

I found this interesting, and I wonder if it contributes to things running slower. Any comments?

Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:33 AM

All replies

• I have not observed any slower than usual in my environment but I can confirm similar large number handle count. In this particular test instance, I see 14K handles. I did a quick look and it appears that most of these handles are of type "Thread" but I don't think they represent actual threads since the OS would not be able to create and manage that many actual threads and the process thread count shows 15.

Saturday, June 23, 2018 8:38 PM
  • I see the same large (16,000+) count.  I have no idea if this is a problem.  This link:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yongrhee/2011/12/19/how-to-troubleshoot-a-handle-leak/

give a process for investigating handle leaks.  Anyone curious enough to dive in?

Bill Becker

Sunday, June 24, 2018 3:51 AM
  • Well I see over 300k handles now. I'll check that link...
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:55 PM