Install WHS on a 40 gig + 500 USB RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dell Sx270 with a 40 gig HD ( laptop HD small ).

and i have a WD book 500 GIG USB HD.

I want to install WHS on it on the 540 Gig, but dont seem to work

how can i do that ?

i will like to have only the OS on the 40 gig HD, and all data, backup Ect on the 500 External HD.

thanks

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• What you are trying to do is not possible. Windows Home Server requires that the system disk be a minimum of 80 GB in size (~73 real GB). It uses the first 20 GB of that drive as the system partition, and the remainder as the primary data partition (D: ). In addition, during installation you may not have any external drives attached. All of this is automatic; there is no supported method for changing how the installation proceeds.

Because a small primary data partition can hamper WHS operations in many ways, Microsoft's recommendation is to use your largest disk as your system disk. In this case, the recommendation would be to either remove the 500 GB disk from it's external enclosure and install it in your server, or purchase a new (larger than 40 GB) disk for the system disk.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:07 PM
  • i just found St*p*d that you have to have 80 gig max.

I made a home server with that, i dont realy need that Internat Hard drive.

I just want to use the 500 USB i dont whant to buy a nother Hard drive Sad

Shure it have no other way ?

my Computer can boot from USB.

They have no way to install it directly on the USB  hard drive ??

Friday, January 18, 2008 11:09 PM
  • If you use the "server reinstallation" option when installing, you will be reinstalling on the same system disk or a replacement for it, with all other disks in the storage pool present. If you perform a fresh installation, you will be required to disconnect all USB disks to proceed. So no, there's no way to have it boot directly off the USB drive. Not that you would want to; USB 2.0 offers only a fraction of the performance a drive is capable of.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:03 AM
  • aaa ok Sad

i just found that not very smart Sad

SO i have a E-Sata on my usb HD.

On my main computer i have a E-sata plug too.

It is possible to install that way ? after have a way to boot it via USB ?

i make thing so complicate, lol

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Try it and let us know the results. But I doubt it will work; eSATA is still a removable drive and I won't be surprised if WHS refuses to install while the drive is connected.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:45 PM