OCS integration with SIP based PBX RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to setup a demo environment consisting of OCS and the 3CX SIP PBX.

What do I need to do to route calls between these 2 system?

Cheers

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 6:10 AM

Answers

• Hey what do you know, I got it to work Horray!

3CX does support SIP over TCP.

But now I have a challenge, user on 3CX cannot call into OCS, is there anything I should do to make inbound calling work?

Does it need to go through the mediation server? ( I presume so becuase of the codec conversion from G7.11 to RT audio)

Cheers

Friday, July 6, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Around the time of RTM, there should be advanced gateways introduced that will perform all of the functions of the mediation server. Until then you will need a separate computer to run mediation server.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:35 PM

All replies

• There is no direct way to tie the systems.

OCS supports SIP over TCP. 3CX supports SIP over UDP. Other gotcha is incompatible audio-codecs.

Theoretical way is not simple (say Hello to the MS-gyus, he likes excessive complexity):

SIP-phone (G.711 codec) <->  SER (converts TCP to UDP) <-> OCS Mediation Server (converts G.711 to RT Audio) <-> OCS <-> Office Communicator 2007

I imagine summary voice delay and forecast non-comfortable voice conversation.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Hey what do you know, I got it to work Horray!

3CX does support SIP over TCP.

But now I have a challenge, user on 3CX cannot call into OCS, is there anything I should do to make inbound calling work?

Does it need to go through the mediation server? ( I presume so becuase of the codec conversion from G7.11 to RT audio)

Cheers

Friday, July 6, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Hey,

Could you please post up how you got OCS to work with 3CX. I've been trying to integrate them myself, but have, so far, failed to work out how to do so. If you can let me know the procedure to do this, it would be very much appreciated.

Daniel Reid

Monday, July 9, 2007 11:16 AM
  • I don't understand the real purpose of integration.

We can use 3CX alone in relatively small installations (up to 50 users). And we can use phones that we can buy today. And we don't need in any mediation server.

Remember that you must have two servers - main server and mediations server. Mediation server works on MS Windows Server and you must spend about 1000 bucks for server license only. And you must supply at least 0.5 kVA uninterruptable power source.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:22 AM
  • Inbound calls do need to go through the mediation server.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:34 PM
  • Around the time of RTM, there should be advanced gateways introduced that will perform all of the functions of the mediation server. Until then you will need a separate computer to run mediation server.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:35 PM
  • OK this is how you can make an outbound call from OCS to 3CX.

1) Make sure you have the Enterprise voice infrastructure setup, with the appropriate Location profiles, normalization rules, routes etc.

2) On your Mediation server next hop address, enter the 3CX IP address.

3) Add a phone extension on your 3CX side and either connect it with an actual VOIP phone or a softphone.

4) On your 3CX configuration, ADD a VOIP provider, select "Generic" as the template name.

5) On the Registrar/Proxy Hostname or IP, make sure you typed in the FQDN of your mediation server and it is case sensitive. Also, ensure that the FQDN resolved to the external interface of the mediation server. I use host file for this purpose. Failing to do so will make 3CX reject the call.

6) You can just leave the rest of the setting to the default value.

7) On the next page, just type any external number, authentication ID and authentication password but these will not be used. On the Route inbound call in/out of office hour, make sure it gets redirected to the extension you've just created.

8) Sign in to the communicator with a user that is voice enabled, dial a number that will map to a route through your mediation server. If everything goes right, the phone connected to the 3CX should ring.

NB. Inbound call from 3CX to OCS will not work as the 3CX pbx will only use SIP over UDP when making outbound connection.

Someone has mentioned that this is not practical in a real world senario, but my main purpose of this is so that labs in the ignite trianing can be performed without the audiocodes gateway. This would also be useful for someone to setup as an OCS demo using only VPC.

Cheers

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Lee. I will try it out.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:29 AM
  •  

Hi,

and has anyone managed to make speech server work with 3cx (or actually ANY IPBX)  ?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 12:34 PM
  • hi,

may I know which edition of 3CX is used in your testing, the Free or the Enterprise. Thanks

Friday, August 3, 2007 10:14 AM
  • The free edition.

The main diff between the Free and Ent edition is the Exchange UM integration.

However, you can still do Exchange UM integration via OCS.

Cheers

Friday, August 3, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Ok, just got an answer on the official message board from 3CX.

They say any interoperation is not on their plan, and they have no plans to turn their product into a slaved PBX.

Full quote here:

Hi,

The current version can already be clustered using Windows clustering.

Re Office Comms server - We are not planning any support at this point.

Our current software already allows for presence information via the Call Assistant, and further functionality is planned. We are also working on Active Directory integration and more. Becoming a 'slaved PBX' is not on our roadmap.

We are looking at CSTA support and this is being considered, however it will not be before 2008.

The thread was locked, and a post of me deleted.

I can not say more than be astoundded about this arrogance - and turn to other providers in search for a reasonable IP PBX. Let's just hope 3cx gets CSTA running. I would ay once Microsoft's IP PBX comes out, lots of ventdors will face a rough time - thanks to them ignoring features and not being innovative.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:42 AM
  •  

Hi,

Hope you can help. Im trying to get 3CX v5.1 to send out SIP calls on OCS behalf. Testing OCS, but cant buy a Gateway to test PSTN calls.

I followed most of the steps above, but get:

13:22:23.218 ClientRegs:SurprisenFailure [CM504007]: Next attempt to register 10001@OCS is scheduled in 10 minutes
    13:22:23.218 ClientRegs:SurprisenFailure [CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10001@OCS; Cause: 503 Service Unavailable; warning: ; internal
    13:22:22.906 ClientRegs::Register [CM504003]: Sent registration request for 10001@OCS

only part i dont under stand is where you say

"On the Route inbound call in/out of office hour, make sure it gets redirected to the extension you've just created."

There is no part of creating an extension. Do you mean the external no??

Sorry but im confused.

Could you maybe send me some screenshots. If you can help, I can alos send my email addy so you dont post config screens on public.

Helpd appreciated.

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Brekeke Software has a SIP-based IP PBX that supports TCP, so it will work with Microsoft Speech Server and OCS.

http://www.brekeke.com/pbx/

http://www.brekeke.com/products/products_tcp.php

You can see how their system works with Microsoft OCS by following the setup directions from the Brekeke Wiki site:

http://www.brekeke-sip.com/wiki/index.php?telepark.wiki=02416f48

You can use it as a slaved pbx or innovate as much as you want.  In fact they have assorted development tools including a JTAPI SDK, .Net Windows control library, web services, and plugins.

cheers,

Monday, June 16, 2008 4:58 PM