Multiple Email Accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I have two separate email accounts that I would like to set up on the Home Server.  These are through my ISP, one for me and one for the wife.  Can I do this, so that I can access the accounts from any of my networked PCs?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:30 PM

Answers

• WHS doesn't include any email capabilities at all. It's possible that an OEM such as HP, or an ISV, will include an email server capability, but there's nothing available from Microsoft.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:17 PM

All replies

• WHS doesn't include any email capabilities at all. It's possible that an OEM such as HP, or an ISV, will include an email server capability, but there's nothing available from Microsoft.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:17 PM
  • I guess I was wondering more if you can create two accounts on the server, one for me and one for the wife, and then install Outlook on the server.  My hope is that by accessing my account on the server and opening Outlook, I will then be able to access my email from any of my computers on the network.  Same for the wife.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:02 PM
  • You can create accounts for the two of you, and you can even install Outlook on the server. But you won't be able to use Outlook on your desktop machine to read the email that Outlook on the server has downloaded. And Outlook on the server will only download email for an account if it's running, anyway. To download for two different users, you would have to have two copies of Outlook running, which you can't do on one machine.

So no, what you're looking for really isn't possible. You could install a third-party mail server on WHS, configure that to download from a list of accounts, and then point your Outlook at that, but that's not the solution you're really looking for, I think.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:27 PM
  • I've just been reminded elsewhere of SmarterMail, which might suit you.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Ken,

Is it possible that later Home Server may get some more of the features of Windows Server 2003 such as firewall, email ability and more functionality than just a file server?
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 3:38 AM
  • The WHS team actively monitors these forums, and in particular they have said they will look to the Suggestions forum for product ideas. Email functionality is a popular request, as are various firewall type features, so it's possible they'll be added some day. I don't think either is likely, though. You shouldn't look for a feature that doesn't solve a problem, end-to-end, for a significant number of users, and you shouldn't look for a feature that could introduce problems.

Microsoft has said that their market research indicates the vast majority of home users are happy with thier current email solution. That argues against including a mail server in WHS; it doesn't solve any problems. And as for firewall features, they're really only useful if you want your WHS to be on the edge of your network, sitting between the Internet and your home network. Personally, I don't want a repository for important data with that kind of surface area exposed to the Internet. A firewall, practically by definition, is completely exposed to incoming packets, and that would create more problems than it solves.

Something that I think would be a decent addition is the inclusion of a full SSL VPN solution. There's the Remote Desktop gateway that WHS provides, and the Remote Access web site itself, and those will probably do all that most people want most of the time, but it would be useful occasionally to be able to just put a remote computer on my home network and have full access to network shares, etc.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:54 PM
  • I can see your point on the firewall issue Ken. I do agree with you that a full SSL VPN would be a feature that lots of folks would use. It would eliminate the need for some third party such as logmein.

Thanks for you reply.
    Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:44 PM
  • A VPN would be good. I use SSL Explorer, which is just about perfect. Easy to set up (if you like defaults), allows you to remote destop into home pcs, proxy into home web servers, and access shares. No client install and runs over 443.  Integrating it into WHS would be cool - even if it does rely on java ;-)

Monday, September 3, 2007 8:28 AM
  • "Microsoft has said that their market research indicates the vast majority of home users are happy with thier current email solution."

I wonder about the demographic of the people who responed to the market research. Is it possible that the people responding to the survey may not realize how they could benefit from some sort of localized communication.

What would be helpful is for a whs server that allowed family members to share calendars and exchange email with out using ISP's.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:36 AM
  • There are already a number of Mail Servers available, both paid for and free, that will work on WHS. Also, a number of companies are working on  'family' calendar type  programs.

I can't see quite how though, you could have email services without an ISP; if you mean internally, then a messenger-type program would serve that function.

Colin

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:27 PM
  • This is an interesting question. Server 2003 has NO firewall or email.  What exact version of 2003 are you talking about? Are you referring to SBS? If so, that is a very different product.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:29 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

There are already a number of Mail Servers available, both paid for and free, that will work on WHS. Also, a number of companies are working on  'family' calendar type  programs.

I can't see quite how though, you could have email services without an ISP; if you mean internally, then a messenger-type program would serve that function.

Colin

I have, in the past, had a win2k server with microsoft exchange running  on my home network. There were local email accounts and a shared calender. for the most part it worked well, but it was complicated and not very relible (through no fault of the software i'm sure). Eventually I bagged the exchange server, I couldn't keep it running. I kept win2k server running as a photo and music storage.

Then WHS appeared and i swithched  from win2k server to whs. The one thing I still miss is the exchange server.

In outlook ther were two accounts, 1) my pop email from my isp and 2) a local domain email account., with a shared calander. My wife and 2 kids and myself were able to communicate appointments, grocerylist and general information locally without having to use a yahoo or google type calander. I liked keeping our personal information on my network.

it was simple to use (as long as the exchange  server was running). 

If there were a Windows home (exchange) server that could be added to Windows Home Server, I'd pay for that.

What mail servers do you refer to that work with WHS?

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:47 AM
  •  ttpilot wrote:

What mail servers do you refer to that work with WHS?

You could try following the guide linked to here.
    I've not used it myself as I find that using Syncing.net pointing to a share on WHS works really well with keeping outlook accounts in sync across multiple machines. Wouldn't help with shared calendars though i don't think.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 10:52 AM
  • Google gMail will let multiple users view mail from any computers. It also will sync Outlook calendar. You would run Outlook on one machine and have Google upload everything so it can be shared. It works great and gets around the Outlook limit.

You can still use Outlook to sync your Palm or PDA.

Jim
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:09 PM