Money Plus Deluxe won't start RRS feed

• Question

• I've read the first two stickies on this forum, but they don't seem to apply to my situation.

I have an HP Pavilion All-In-One comp, originally with Windows 8.1 but since upgraded to Win10.

Money Plus Deluxe has worked perfectly since installing on this machine last December. It ran fine on 8.1 and has on 10 since I upgraded a month or so ago. Since this morning, when the into music plays, it no longer goes to the sign in page, but to an opening page I don't usually see. It just has a box with "Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe" plus copyright detail in small print below. The activity icon keeps rotating. Eventually I get a "Not Responding" pop-up and have to close. 

I've shut down the computer and rebooted, but the problem persists.

Is there a fix to this or should I uninstall and download afresh? I have backups of my files.

Monday, November 2, 2015 12:34 AM

Answers

• I've got it working! I've always worked from an icon in the tray and since yesterday I've had the problem detailed above. What I've just done is go to the .exe file in Program Files (x86). From there it works, so I made a shortcut from Program files (x86) and moved it to the desktop and it works every time. Why did the one in the tray suddenly stop working? No idea, but I've found a way around it.

Thanks guys for all you time in trying to help me with this. Much appreciated.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:56 AM

All replies

• The first sticky may well be relevant.  Did you replace your mnyob99.dll as described there?  If not, I would try that first.

Bill Becker

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:12 AM
  • Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money Plus\ or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles
    with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate
    to the Portfolio.  Does it display?  If not, the problem is
    probably with your installation.

If Sample.mny works correctly, your installation is probably
    OK. While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem
    with your Money installation or your Windows settings.

Make an extra copy of your backups onto other
    media in case you want to restore one that pre-dates the problem.
    You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and selecting
    your regular file from the list at the bottom.

You can try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is
    simple, but it probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try
    making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If it still does not work, try restoring a backup that pre-dates
    the problem.

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:51 AM
  • I've tried downloading mnyob99.dll but I can't get it to install.

I've tried copying sample.mny from my Program files (x86), but it still won't run. I get the musical intro and the initial screen, but with the exception that the centre box "Money Plus" disappears immediately it appears and I'm left with a blank Money page with the menu items across the top and the search box but I can't access any of it as the progress circle just keeps turning until I close at "Program not responding".

So this gets me down to your "If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem with your Money installation or your Windows settings." paragraph. Since I posted earlier I've found that I am having an identical problem with Skype. Could it be something other than Money that is causing the problem? You mention Windows settings. How would I check that out?

After posting the above I tried opening from a month old backup. It did all the usual stuff to restore from that backup, then went to the blank page described above and again the progress circle just keeps revolving.
    • Edited by Bill in OZ Monday, November 2, 2015 2:05 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 1:58 PM
  • I've tried downloading mnyob99.dll but I can't get it to install.

It does not install.

The patched file mnyob99.dll is a patched version of the original mnyob99.dll file for Money Plus .

mnyob99.dll must replace the existing mnyob99.dll file.

To locate where your mnyob99.dll is located, you can run the following command in a command window:
    dir \mnyob99.dll /s

It will take a while to run.

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Here is a more detailed description of how to replace mnyob99.dll in Windows 10.  It's copied from a older thread:

1 - Download PATCHED MNYOB99.DLL file provide from

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zj0amk06ax57cfg/mnyob99.dll

2- Enable Show Hidden Files in Folder Options

Click radio button to turn on Show hidden Files, folders, and drives

Turn off Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)

3- Backup the original MNYOB99.DLL by renaming to MNYOB99.DLL.org

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles

4 - Copy Download Patched MNYOB99.DLL to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\MNYOB99.DLL

Bill Becker

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:55 PM
  • I think I have a problem bigger than just Money Plus. I can't get the command window to work to find the dll file's location. I tried looking in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus but there is no "MNYCoreFiles" there. I guess that is because I haven't been able to find Folder Options to show hidden files. Can't see anything in Control Panel that could take me there. Where the heck is Folder Options? Without my command window I'm rather hampered.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 10:42 PM
  • See, for example,:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2768-file-explorer-options-open-windows-10-a.html

Bill Becker

Monday, November 2, 2015 11:18 PM
  • I think I have a problem bigger than just Money Plus. I can't get the command window to work to find the dll file's location. I tried looking in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus but there is no "MNYCoreFiles" there.

Open the command file by right-clicking the command window icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

It is initially hidden. You could do the following command from "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus"

You could unhide MNYCoreFiles from that command window with

attrib -h MNYCoreFiles

I think, but you might also have to use -s too. You could do the following, even if still hidden:

cd mn*

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:11 AM
  • I've got it working! I've always worked from an icon in the tray and since yesterday I've had the problem detailed above. What I've just done is go to the .exe file in Program Files (x86). From there it works, so I made a shortcut from Program files (x86) and moved it to the desktop and it works every time. Why did the one in the tray suddenly stop working? No idea, but I've found a way around it.

Thanks guys for all you time in trying to help me with this. Much appreciated.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:56 AM