Customise Menu items(shorcut) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

im trying to add mylist to menu control( like new activitym,new record,goto,tools)

here is the sample screen short of this http://vijender.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/shortcut-keys.jpg

i tried in sitemap.xml,isv.config but it only has the left navigation bars.i need to customize the top navigation bar.

i searched in bar_top.aspx(wwwroot folder) but there i didnt find any previous entries.

does this top navigation can be customised or do im trying any vain attempt?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards Vijender Reddy
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you're basically in unsupported territory by attempting to modify the out-of-box menus.  There are scripts that can be run to conceal them, and I think that's the best that can be done, since I believe it's an unknown ASPX control that plants them there in the first place--whatever the case is, they're definitely not in the customization files to simply remove.

There is a great deal of documentation regarding CRM's styling, so you could effectively replace the entire interface with a custom one that implements only those customizations you have developed, and scavenges unmolested CRM elements.  However, you would probably need a proxy, like Microsoft ISA, to catch calls to the "standard" interface and redirect them to yours.  Additionally, there are other logistical concerns I'm unqualified to provide direction on: IFD logins, offline Outlook clients, and possible issues with CRM's internal javascript files.

That may be a less desirable alternative than simply pushing some scripts into CRM's interface files, but it's more likely to withstand updates from Microsoft.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 2:57 AM

All replies

• You should search for 'Custom Menus that appear between the Goto Menu and the Help Menu' in ISV and make changes there

Regards Faisal
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:25 PM
  • @Faisal

Thanks  it solved for some extent,

as i said i could find the isv menubar only but i couldnt see the menu bars like....... new record,new activities,goto links there.

is there any settings to be made to view the entire isv.config to view entire menu,menubar,menuitem tags.

currently im having the system admin/system customiser roles so no security concerns i think.

reason behind the existing menus is to fix my custom control at the first and to know the navigation url to leads,opportunity....

Thanks & Regards Vijender Reddy
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, you're basically in unsupported territory by attempting to modify the out-of-box menus.  There are scripts that can be run to conceal them, and I think that's the best that can be done, since I believe it's an unknown ASPX control that plants them there in the first place--whatever the case is, they're definitely not in the customization files to simply remove.

There is a great deal of documentation regarding CRM's styling, so you could effectively replace the entire interface with a custom one that implements only those customizations you have developed, and scavenges unmolested CRM elements.  However, you would probably need a proxy, like Microsoft ISA, to catch calls to the "standard" interface and redirect them to yours.  Additionally, there are other logistical concerns I'm unqualified to provide direction on: IFD logins, offline Outlook clients, and possible issues with CRM's internal javascript files.

That may be a less desirable alternative than simply pushing some scripts into CRM's interface files, but it's more likely to withstand updates from Microsoft.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com Please follow the forum guidelines when inquiring of the dedicated CRM community for assistance.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 2:57 AM