Limited or no connectivity RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've done a little searching and found only one post about this... with no resolution. I have two laptops in my household utilizing OneCare and both will have trouble connecting (or connects with limited connectivity) to my router after extended peroids of standby, or if I connected to another router from another location, then come home to connect to my home router. I have to turn the firewall off to resolve this. After it connects, I can turn the firewall back on and all is good again.

Anybody else have this problem?

Friday, November 7, 2008 1:32 PM

Answers

• It would appear that the PC is unable to negotiate the DHCP lease with your router via wireless when the firewall is on, or it is simply taking a long time for that to happen. Some people have reported success with the following:

Open OneCare

Change Settings

Firewall tab

Advanced

Ports and protocols

Place a check mark next to ICMP outbound and ICMP v4 Inbound.

If that doesn't resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:06 PM

All replies

• It would appear that the PC is unable to negotiate the DHCP lease with your router via wireless when the firewall is on, or it is simply taking a long time for that to happen. Some people have reported success with the following:

Open OneCare

Change Settings

Firewall tab

Advanced

Ports and protocols

Place a check mark next to ICMP outbound and ICMP v4 Inbound.

If that doesn't resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, November 7, 2008 4:06 PM
  • ICMP v4 Inbound was already checked, ICMP outbound was  not. So far it seems to work, but time will tell and I will report back later.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Please do let us know if this has resolved the problem for the long term.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:39 PM
  •  

Well, that did not fix it. If I go for an extend period of time away from my home router, it will have trouble connecting when I get home everytime.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Sorry to read that this is still an issue.

Please contact support to investigate it further and do let us know the outcome, please.

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:48 PM
  • I am having this exact same issue ever since switching ISP providers from Comcast to Verizon which obviously resulted in me getting a new router. My desk top will not connect with the router if it is shut down for 24 hours. My laptop is the same, however, it connects to the router at work like it always has and other systems as well. I tried the reccomended solutions above and they did not work for me either. The only way to connect is by either turning off the firewall and repairing the connection or just waiting anywhere from 20-30 minutes for the connection to self-resolve. I will contact customer support again.

John

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:51 PM
  • Interesting, I am with Verizon too. And it's "their" router I am having the trouble with.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:37 AM
  • Could you please post the make and model of the Verizon supplied modem/router here *and* contact support? Thanks.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Mine is a...

Brand: Actiontec

Model: MI424-WR Rev. D

This is the newer model they now provide. I had the same problem with the older one also.

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for providing this information. I'm not sure if it is the router/modem and its interaction with OneCare, but it sure seems that way.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:56 AM
  •  I wanted to revisit this thread I started.

Seems the issue is with the Verizon routers. Verizon recently replaced my Actiontec router with a Westell model. Firmware is almost identical to the Actiontec. The issue with limited or no connectivity after an extend disconnection time followed the Westell router. While I couldn't fix the issue I was able to work around it.

I freed up the last 50 IP addresses out of the DHCP pool to manually assign some of those addresses to the PC's running OneCare. No more connection problems after doing this. The downside to this "fix" is when I am on the road somewhere and connect to another WAP I have to switch back to DHCP, then manually configure the connection again when I get home.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Interesting. So, basically, assigning a fixed IP when at home allows you to continue with no problems at all, and DHCP when on a public network (or any oter WAP, but your own) works fine for extended periods with no disconnect. Not the best workaround, but thanks for the information.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:47 PM
  • I have suddenly experienced a similar problem, I have a laptop & PC both wired connections, neither leave the house.
    PC passed away, replaced it with a new one which connected fine for a few days then suddenly came up with limited connectivity and unidentified network. Meanwhile the laptop has continued to work without problem. I have compared settings on both and the only difference I can find (with my knowledge) is that the Laptop says "Custom" network discovery and the PC says "Yes". Not sure how / where to customise PC settings to see if that works. I wondered if it is an over zealous firewall?
    I understand the concept of a fixed IP but not exactly sure how to achieve this.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:56 AM
  • DavidL123 said:

I have suddenly experienced a similar problem, I have a laptop & PC both wired connections, neither leave the house.
    PC passed away, replaced it with a new one which connected fine for a few days then suddenly came up with limited connectivity and unidentified network. Meanwhile the laptop has continued to work without problem. I have compared settings on both and the only difference I can find (with my knowledge) is that the Laptop says "Custom" network discovery and the PC says "Yes". Not sure how / where to customise PC settings to see if that works. I wondered if it is an over zealous firewall?
    I understand the concept of a fixed IP but not exactly sure how to achieve this.

Are you using OneCare? If not, you're off topic. I wouldn't expect this to be caused by the OneCare firewall or any other firewall, actually. If it is losing the connection to the network I would suspect the driver for the network adapter, a bad cable, a router issue, or perhaps even another active network connection on the PC before looking at the firewall. If the connection was wireless, the problem would not surprise me, but with a wired connection for a PC that doesn't change networks, it is odd.
    -steve
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I am using Onecare, I have reinstalled network device, I have tried a host of different cables in different sockets on the router, plus just to confound it all my laptop also on Vista still continues to work. The only reason for mentioning the firewall was that the network discovery settings differ on the two machines. The PC (not working) states network discovery setting "yes" and the laptop (still works) is on "custom".  
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Cleared unconnected networks then totally disconnected the router from mains for several mins, when rebooted the router only had the "problem PC" connected (in a different socket), also looks like one of the sockets in the back of the router might be suspect. Thanks for your suggestions, seems to have done the trick.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Fingers crossed. :-) I haven't had a port go bad, but I did have some really perplexing problems a while back that turned out to be a wonky cable.
    -steve
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:58 PM