remote web access RRS feed

• Question

• Dlink DIR 632 Latest firmware

uPNP enabled

Using homeserver.com which setup fine. Got a web address.

Running automatic it said everything was fine but can't connect. Port forwarded in virtual server... nothing. Port forwarded in port forwarding... "router is not working".

In all these setups under router it's telling me router ip unknown. Model unknown. In more details everything is right.

What am I missing?

Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:54 PM

All replies

• Update... closed it and re-opened it and it now shows the router ip and model. But still no love with getting to the web page.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:14 PM
  • On the other hand, can't get to homeserver.com either. Is it down (he says hopefully)?
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:52 PM
  • The plot thickens.

I'm assuming that you really can't use it from a local machine, only remotely.

But if I type in just the "servername" I can get to the logon page. Password works, the shared folders are viewable but the computers are not.
    Try to get at them with the correct password and it gives an error...  "The remote desktop gateway server address requested and the certificate subject name do not match." (Issued by go-daddy to the correct xxxx.homeserver.com address)

Didn't play with any certificates.

I have much sadness. :(

Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:16 PM
  • I'm assuming that you really can't use it from a local machine, only remotely.

This is a function of your router. Attempting to connect to your router's external IP address from inside your network is usually referred to as a "loopback" connection, and not all routers support this.
    Try to get at them with the correct password and it gives an error... "The remote desktop gateway server address requested and the certificate subject name do not match."
    This is also normal behavior; the certificate on your server is for xxx.homeserver.com, but you're connected to a different machine. Why would you want to use the Remote Access web site to connect to a computer in your home via RDP anyway? You could connect directly, or (easier) walk a few feet...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:18 PM
  • I'm just trying to test it to make sure it works before I walk those few feet! I'm kinda old! LOL 

One would think there would be a way to test it tho. :( Obviously one wouldn't need it when you're sitting next to it! :) Hate to hit the road and get a gazillion miles away and find it doesn't work. :(

Thanx, Ken. You've been a great help walking me thru this mess and I'm truly grateful. :) Hopefully when I get out in the real world it'll work!

Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Microsoft has no control over the feature sets of consumer grade routers, I'm afraid. As a result testing remote access, assuming a basic dns lookup returns the correct (external) IP address, is best done from afar. Try a local coffe or other shop with free wifi, or your local library. Or if you can tether your (data capable) phone, you could use that as an external connection.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Well, away from home...flaky to say the least. Sometimes it connects to the log in/splash page, sometimes cannot connect error.

If I'm lucky enough to load the splash page it takes the password but when I get past that I can see and use the folders and media but refuses to let me connect to computers or the server. Back to the incorrect password again. Or sometimes "not authorized" and won't even let me enter a password.

• Edited by garoa1 Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Ok, just noticed that when I set up the remote I used an uppercase letter for it that the browser insists on changing to lowercase. So even if I get close I get the certificates don't match error. Viewing the certificate it's correctly using the upper case letter.

Do I need to fix that? And if so, how?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Haven't been here in a while but an update...

After a few days, for some odd reason... it began to work. No clue why and didn't touch a thing. Perhaps the homserver domain was having hiccups? So all "seems" to be well.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:24 PM