Maintenance Should Be In Background RRS feed

• Question

• Live OneCare maintenance consumes most of the power of my 800 MHz PC when it runs. When I first starting using it, I could hardly tell maintenance was running. Something has changed for the worse. Now I can hardly get anything else to run during maintenance, or my other programs run painfully slow.

I'm unaware of anything I did to make it worse. Live OneCare programs always start up when I want to use my PC for something else. They should be set to run with the lowest priority.

Is there anyway I can control the priority given to Live OneCare? My attempts to reduce program priority with Windows Task Manager were refused. I can't find any documentation for the subject.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 10:39 PM

Answers

• Virus scans and tune ups can be scheduled to run at a time of your choosing and should be scheduled to run at a time when you expect your computer to be idle. Although the system requirements state a minimum of 256mb of ram is required, unhless you have 512mb or more, system performance will degrade significantly during a scan or tune up.

Monday, July 7, 2008 5:51 AM

All replies

•  

I totally agree.  And sometimes my system run wild and I am wondering is that my maintenance taking place or is someone phishing up some info.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Virus scans and tune ups can be scheduled to run at a time of your choosing and should be scheduled to run at a time when you expect your computer to be idle. Although the system requirements state a minimum of 256mb of ram is required, unhless you have 512mb or more, system performance will degrade significantly during a scan or tune up.

Monday, July 7, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Are you referring to Tune-up or a scheduled scan that takes place when the PC boots up if the scheduled scan time has been missed? if it is the former, performance during Tune-up can certainly be degraded even on a powerful PC. An 800Mhz CPU is not very high powered and will be taxed by a Tune-up and even a malware scan.

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:05 PM