Outbound Voice Calls - problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've encountered a problem with outbound calling.

A. With the private beta OC, you could fill in just a number for phone number (like +1123456).

B. If you install the public beta OC over the private beta OC, you can still fill in a number for phone number.

C. When you install the public beta OC on a clean machine, you have to fill in "tel:+1123456" as phone number.

For A and B, no problem for making outbound calls.

For C: it fails for making outbound calls. The uri is: "sip:;phone-context=.... " (number is missing)

What's the difference between the clean install and the update?

Thanks,

Dieter

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my late answer (holiday).

I've found the cause of the problem: external users cannot access the abserver files without a reverse proxy. But why you have first download the lsabs file, before you can do outbound calling in a right way ( I'm  not using the Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file)? To make a call to tel:+xxxxxxx, there's no need of normalization?

I've found that every OC (with and without the downloaded lsabs file) converts American numbers, like tel:+12223334444, to +1 (222) 333-4444?

Regards,

Dieter

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Dieter,

Are you entering this into the user's communications properties? I believe you have always had to enter the tel:+123456789 format for the user's phone number. At least, on all 4 or 5 private beta versions I have used, that is how we had to enter it.

If you didn't have to in the previous versions it was a bug then and you will have to enter tel:+ from now on.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  

Hi Thom,

I have no problem with the tel+ prefix. But if you make an outbound call, the sip uri in the INVITE message misses the phone number:

E.g. if you make a call to tel:+12345678 the sip uri is missing the +12345678

In the logging from OCS Edge is the uri wrong:

Start-Line: INVITE sip:;phone-context=DefaultLocation@artademo.local;user=phone SIP/2.0

From: <sip:idesvandevelde@artademo.local>;tag=bd59b7fa99;epid=6e08d7a171

To: <sip:;phone-context=DefaultLocation@artademo.local;user=phone>

CSeq: 1 INVITE

Call-ID: 29a192d5bad14eea990253d21c9ec530

Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 192.168.2.91:1035

Max-Forwards: 70

Contact: <sip:idesvandevelde@artademo.local;opaque=user:epid:4GFK53A-_Vqnjyu_6iaeQwAA;gruu>

User-Agent: UCCP/2.0.6090.0 OC/2.0.6090.0 (Microsoft Office Communicator)

Ms-Conversation-ID: AcekSU7ir6m71cKZRPuoBwV5ctoEdw==

Supported: timer

Supported: ms-sender

ms-keep-alive: UAC;hop-hop=yes

P-Preferred-Identity: <sip:idesvandevelde@artademo.local>, <tel:+3299100008>

Supported: ms-conf-invite

Proxy-Authorization: NTLM qop="auth", realm="SIP Communications Service", opaque="F222D871", crand="896bf4a2", cnum="19", targetname="eu-prd-ocs1.ARTADEMO.local", response="01000000696465738e1fcd427f8be16a"

Content-Type: application/sdp

Content-Length: 1299

Today i've did some extra tests.

We have 2 test environments, one locally (shame subnet), and 1 remote installed.

1. Clean install of MOC, connecting via OCSEdge (installed in a collocation room) to the remotely installed OCS. I'm experiencing the problem described above.

2. In the shame subnet of the MOC, I have also an OCS installed. When i connect directly to OCS (via TCP) with the shame MOC . Outbound calling is perfect. I can make calls with and without 'tel:'

3. If I now connect with the shame MOC again the remotely installed OCS via OCSEdge. I can now make outbound calls without any problem. After rebooting the machine, I can still make outbound calls (with and without 'tel').

So my first assumption of the upgrade from Beta 3 to Public Beta was wrong.

If I find another interesting experiences, I'll post them here.

Kind regards,

Dieter

Friday, June 1, 2007 1:06 PM
  • Extra info:

In Office communicator you fill in tel:+12345678 click on the phone in OC. The call fails.

When you then click on the phone (from the conversation window), or click retry, then the outbound call succeeds.

Regards,

Dieter

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:29 AM
  • hi Dieter,  have you  checked the number normalization rules you have set for the location?  If you want this to work similar to the ABS normalization, then you should make sure that the per location normalization rule for the user is similar to the ABS normalization rule. you can also verify this using our RouteHelper tool.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 4:42 AM
  •  

Hi Rajesh,

Where can you configure the ABS normalization?

I don't see anything wrong, when testing with the RouteHelper tool.

But why is the MOC sending an almost empty username in the INVITE-uri, when calling to tel:+3250230325

INVITE sip:;phone-context=DefaultLocation@artademo.local;user=phone SIP/2.0

From: <sipTongue Tiedteven.leeman@artademo.local>;tag=125249d211;epid=2b7f0e69e5

To: <sip:;phone-context=DefaultLocation@artademo.local;user=phone>

And after receiving 400 Bad Request

SIP/2.0 400 Bad request

From: <sipTongue Tiedteven.leeman@artademo.local>;tag=125249d211;epid=2b7f0e69e5

To: <sip:;phone-context=DefaultLocation@artademo.local;user=phone>;tag=8A44B702D8ED7CE31ACF21AF0FEB6500

It's shows "cannot complete the call" : see http://www.flickr.com/photos/9118136@N03/575361027/

If you now click on the phone-icon, or Retry-button it goes well:

INVITE sip:+3250230325@artademo.local;user=phone SIP/2.0

From: <sipTongue Tiedteven.leeman@artademo.local>;tag=4995b67136;epid=2b7f0e69e5

To: <sip:+3250230325@artademo.local;user=phone>

I'm I right if you call with tel:+ .... no normalization is needed?

-> Why is the phone-context then used?

Thanks,

Dieter

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:55 PM
  • This is in the OCS Admin Guide, page 65:

Configuring Address Book Server Phone Normalization

Phone numbers that are stored in disparate directories are essentially unstructured strings that lack a strict model for consistency. Communicator requires standardized E.164 phone numbers. This number translation is performed by the Address Book Server in conjunction with mapping rules. Two types of rules can be applied to the phone numbers. One is the generic rules which are a resource inside of the ABServer.exe file, which will enforce the fact that they are not editable. The other is the sample company rules which is in a text file that is included in the installation folder alongside ABServer.exe, with a comment at the top of the file telling the administrator if they want company specific rules, they should copy the sample file to the output location for the pool and change the name to Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt so that it will be used for future synchronization passes.

Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt is the sample file in which you configure rules specific to your company requirements. To use this file, copy it to Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt; otherwise, Address Book Server will use only the built in generic rules. Company rules override the generic rules.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Hi Dieter,

Can you let us know the status of your issue?

Monday, July 9, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late answer (holiday).

I've found the cause of the problem: external users cannot access the abserver files without a reverse proxy. But why you have first download the lsabs file, before you can do outbound calling in a right way ( I'm  not using the Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file)? To make a call to tel:+xxxxxxx, there's no need of normalization?

I've found that every OC (with and without the downloaded lsabs file) converts American numbers, like tel:+12223334444, to +1 (222) 333-4444?

Regards,

Dieter

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:01 PM