Upgrading to a new PC with WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to move from my old PC to a new one.

I am trying to save the time of all uninstalling/installing transferring files and settings etc etc... I just need the new hardware.

I tried to restore a fresh backup to the new PC but after the restoring process ends, the new system fails to complete the boot.

There are major hardware differences and i think this is the main reason for the faliure.

(mainly: old system video card=AGP, new system= onboard, old CPU=p4 new=Q6600)

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:35 PM

Answers

• The complete restore process assumes you are restoring to the same hardware, not completly different hardware and therefore wont work correctly or at all (in your case).

My advice would be to perform a clean installation of your operating system, install all your software again, back it up to WHS for future use, then open a backup and copy the files across to your new installation. You wont be able to do that with programs and settings, but at least you will have your files.

Andrew

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:48 PM

All replies

• The complete restore process assumes you are restoring to the same hardware, not completly different hardware and therefore wont work correctly or at all (in your case).

My advice would be to perform a clean installation of your operating system, install all your software again, back it up to WHS for future use, then open a backup and copy the files across to your new installation. You wont be able to do that with programs and settings, but at least you will have your files.

Andrew

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:48 PM
  • These MS articles (and similar others) may also be of use?
    http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?q=settings+transfer+xp&qsc0=0&SearchBtn0=Search&FORM=QBME1&l=1&mkt=en-US&PageType=99
    http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=settings+transfer+vista
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 10:20 PM
  •  KingPoogi wrote:

I need to move from my old PC to a new one.

I am trying to save the time of all uninstalling/installing transferring files and settings etc etc... I just need the new hardware.

I tried to restore a fresh backup to the new PC but after the restoring process ends, the new system fails to complete the boot.

There are major hardware differences and i think this is the main reason for the faliure.

(mainly: old system video card=AGP, new system= onboard, old CPU=p4 new=Q6600)

Any ideas on how to get around this?

No guarantee this would work, but you have nothing to lose at this point. Smile

After completing the restore, boot from the XP/Vista CD/DVD and perform a repair.  (Most likely your hal.dll file needs to be replaced, which a repair should fix.)

Monday, June 9, 2008 12:08 AM