none
Why Does Microsoft Have Forums and Who Are the People Who Respond to Feedback? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a degree in Computer Science.  I am an accomplished software developer.  I do IT Pro work.  I am at the end of my career.  Microsoft refuses to let me in on little secrets like why Windows 10 is persistently unstable.  It is perfectly awful unless you happen to be wedded to the rent-by-the-month Office suite as your sole application suite.  I guess I'm pushing the envelope by trying to run one particular 3rd party application (not Office) on each of 16 Windows machines and expecting the application to install and stay installed  and working forever on all the computers.  The Forums have been and remain undefined as to purpose and function.  But, unless I pay $500 to Microsoft, Forums are the only way to get some business model information out of Microsoft (if you ignore the trade press).  I get that Windows is no longer for PCs.  That's a radical idea.  Who would've guessed  that would happen?  Now one is supposed to run Windows on the mainframe in your pocket.  The upshot is that Microsoft has deemphasized support for Windows 10.  This is very frustrating.  Eventually banks running Windows to operate their ATMs will catch and on be very disappointed despite efforts by Microsoft to promise few unbidden updates for banks that sign up for an ill-defined arrangement between Microsoft and the banks.  I was a Windows Insider.  I received a download in which Edge refused to launch.  Also refusing to launch was Hub, the mechanism that one uses to report that Edge refuses to launch.  If such defective software is to be distributed willy-nilly, why should I bother to be an unpaid guinea pig?  I'm at a loss.  Reading the minds of the highly-compensated executives proves to be impossible.  Are executives contemptuous of customers who supported Microsoft when it was in its heyday?  It doesn't have to be this way.  When I worked for Univac the software developers were extremely careful to test their releases and to inform users, who paid millions for the privilege, how to interact with the user interface.  Microsoft is just the opposite.  And I get blamed for "venting" as if I have no reason at all to complain.  So, Microsoft, tell us members of the unwashed what the devil you are up to.  If you can.  I have lots more thoughts on related issues which Microsoft does NOT want to address.  I work with Windows for many hours every day.  I'm thinking, what, Linux?

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, August 27, 2018 5:17 AM

All replies

• I have a degree in Computer Science.  I am an accomplished software developer.  I do IT Pro work.  I am at the end of my career.  Microsoft refuses to let me in on little secrets like why Windows 10 is persistently unstable.  It is perfectly awful unless you happen to be wedded to the rent-by-the-month Office suite as your sole application suite.  I guess I'm pushing the envelope by trying to run one particular 3rd party application (not Office) on each of 16 Windows machines and expecting the application to install and stay installed  and working forever on all the computers.  The Forums have been and remain undefined as to purpose and function.  But, unless I pay $500 to Microsoft, Forums are the only way to get some business model information out of Microsoft (if you ignore the trade press).  I get that Windows is no longer for PCs.  That's a radical idea.  Who would've guessed  that would happen?  Now one is supposed to run Windows on the mainframe in your pocket.  The upshot is that Microsoft has deemphasized support for Windows 10.  This is very frustrating.  Eventually banks running Windows to operate their ATMs will catch and on be very disappointed despite efforts by Microsoft to promise few unbidden updates for banks that sign up for an ill-defined arrangement between Microsoft and the banks.  I was a Windows Insider.  I received a download in which Edge refused to launch.  Also refusing to launch was Hub, the mechanism that one uses to report that Edge refuses to launch.  If such defective software is to be distributed willy-nilly, why should I bother to be an unpaid guinea pig?  I'm at a loss.  Reading the minds of the highly-compensated executives proves to be impossible.  Are executives contemptuous of customers who supported Microsoft when it was in its heyday?  It doesn't have to be this way.  When I worked for Univac the software developers were extremely careful to test their releases and to inform users, who paid millions for the privilege, how to interact with the user interface.  Microsoft is just the opposite.  And I get blamed for "venting" as if I have no reason at all to complain.  So, Microsoft, tell us members of the unwashed what the devil you are up to.  If you can.  I have lots more thoughts on related issues which Microsoft does NOT want to address.  I work with Windows for many hours every day.  I'm thinking, what, Linux?

MARK D ROCKMAN

Or better still, given your self-proclaimed expertise and imminent end of your career, why not develop your own OS and achieve perfection?

Monday, August 27, 2018 6:25 PM