Product Keys Dont Match!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm a bit confused and in a bit of a muddle as to what to do next, and I'm sorry if what I type doesn't make sense... but here goes.

My PC at work has a copy of XP Pro installed on it, which, according to the Microsoft Validation Tool isn't a genuine copy and looking into it further is also a "blocked VLK". The OEM product sticker on the side of the PC is for  XP Home Edition.

I have found the CD containing the XP Home software. My questions are:

Am I able to I re-install this CD and overwrite the pirate copy of XP Pro and validate it using the product key on the sticker?

And...if this is possible, would I lose any of my network, internet settings or would they be saved and just transfered over to the newly installed windows?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated and thankyou for your time.

Jay

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:59 PM

Answers

• Jasonejones2812,

Would you happen to know if your place of work uses a Volume License in order to install windows?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:07 PM
  • Jason,

Just as a point of friendly advice, please be sure to check with your supervisor before doing anything like installing software on the computers at work.

To change from an installation of XP Pro to XP Home, technology requires that you do a clean installation of XP Home, which means it will be necessary to reformat the hard disk partition containing Windows.  This reformatting will destroy all user data and settings, so please take steps to back up and offload data and settings.

You may want to read up on using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/fast.html

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:41 PM
  • Hi Derrick,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond to my queries.

I must apologise as I'm quite "Windows Illiterate" and all this jargon (VLK's OEM's???) baffles me I'm afraid. I'm a whizz on the software packages that I use for my job, but ask me about Windows and I run a mile!!!

We are a small business and my PC was here when I joined the company 3 years ago. Its since had work carried out on it to upgrade software packages , setup to be connected to our network, have viruses removed etc etc, so I really don't know. We've had new PC's installed recently and each one come pre-installed with XP Pro.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague with my answers!

Jay.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:02 AM

All replies

• Jasonejones2812,

Would you happen to know if your place of work uses a Volume License in order to install windows?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:07 PM
  • Jason,

Just as a point of friendly advice, please be sure to check with your supervisor before doing anything like installing software on the computers at work.

To change from an installation of XP Pro to XP Home, technology requires that you do a clean installation of XP Home, which means it will be necessary to reformat the hard disk partition containing Windows.  This reformatting will destroy all user data and settings, so please take steps to back up and offload data and settings.

You may want to read up on using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/fast.html

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:41 PM
  • Hi Derrick,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to respond to my queries.

I must apologise as I'm quite "Windows Illiterate" and all this jargon (VLK's OEM's???) baffles me I'm afraid. I'm a whizz on the software packages that I use for my job, but ask me about Windows and I run a mile!!!

We are a small business and my PC was here when I joined the company 3 years ago. Its since had work carried out on it to upgrade software packages , setup to be connected to our network, have viruses removed etc etc, so I really don't know. We've had new PC's installed recently and each one come pre-installed with XP Pro.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague with my answers!

Jay.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:02 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advise. I'll certainly give it a go. I just hope its not too complicated.

Many thanks for your time.

Jay

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:04 AM