How do I remove the red flag in Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I do not want the notification red flagging me because I have automatic updates turned off.  I feel automatic updates are great for businesses but for my home pc, my favorite operating system is old school style Windows 98 Second Edition and it is currently running like a champ with no BSOD because my hardware is good.  The nice thing about 98 SE is that it has the internal safety of DOS upon which it stands upon solid rock.  It is too bad Microsoft only supports 98 SE through newsgroups and on-line help support only but that is much better than no support and ever since Dan K. released DNS Poisoning Results --- the world is on alert and 9x apparently is not affected at all.  Heck, when my home computer was invaded due to weak APS Protocols, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 crumbled but 98 Second Edition held up like a champ and suffered only run dll errors associated with vpn  and so you see the strong external defense network of NT is great as long as it cannot be broken via VPN --- Vista falls in this category as well and it is NT with a beefed up external defense matrix.

Anyway, my question is for Windows XP Professional and how to remove the red flag.  I currently dual-boot with 98 Second Edition as my primary operating system again since Dan K's research went public.  Please see us-cert.gov for details for those who are interested and live in the States aka U.S.A..

Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:53 AM

Answers

• Automatic updates are required to be turned on for One Care to remain in Green status. Unfortunately there are only three options. Turn on Automatic Updates, leave Automatic Updates off and ignore the Red status, or uninstall One Care.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:13 PM
  • DanW7, you made the right choice for you. One Care is designed to provide the best protection for most typical computer users and I know from experience that requiring Automatic Update to be turned on provides additional protection from exploits and security vulnerabilities to users who don't regularly patch their systems.

By the way, these old eyeballs are just fine with the large font. : )

Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:13 PM

All replies

• Automatic updates are required to be turned on for One Care to remain in Green status. Unfortunately there are only three options. Turn on Automatic Updates, leave Automatic Updates off and ignore the Red status, or uninstall One Care.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:13 PM
  • Thanks Jim.  Sorry about the large font.  I should have previewed it first.  I will leave the red flag on then.  I do not like automatic updates because I fully enjoy analyzing every Windows Update.  I currently am working with Microsoft on a non-disclosed vulnerability within Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 that has been confirmed as broken by Microsoft.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has not given me a time date to the fix.  I would like a goal set by the end of the year so I know I have something to look forward to.  I will discuss this bug publicly on windows.public.security newsgroup if something is not done soon by Microsoft. 

I have used computers since about 1984 with an IBM PCjr and programming in BASIC with an actual cartridge.  I love the old IBM PCjr and it still works.  My favorite all time game when I was but a little lad is King's Quest 1 by Sierra On Line which Ken Williams showed off for IBM to highlight their IBM PCjr.  I even remember it cost my mom, Toni a whooping $900 as a public school teacher for the city back in the day.  I actually long for the days of Infocom and the Zork series and my all time favorite text based game is WishBringer.  I am a total old school guy trying to make do in a new school world.  I did volunteer testing for Microsoft on Windows Vista and currently work in the IT field but prefer to remain annonymous because I don't need or want the burden of fame.  It is too much of a damn nuisance from what I have seen of stars being followed around.

I currently use IBM PCjr -- most of the time in storage ---, IBM 486 with Windows 3.1 and IBM DOS 5.02, Main Current Machine -- Dual-Boot of Windows 98 Second Edition, all time favorite and not getting any more BSOD since all the hardware issues seem to be resolved and have the internal safety structure Chris Quirke, MVP talks about with external security of Windows XP Service Pack 3.  My current laptop is a black Toshiba Laptop that I will have to send in to be repaired soon by August 24, 2008 for associated hardware issues and problems with the biometric device.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:28 PM
  • DanW7, you made the right choice for you. One Care is designed to provide the best protection for most typical computer users and I know from experience that requiring Automatic Update to be turned on provides additional protection from exploits and security vulnerabilities to users who don't regularly patch their systems.

By the way, these old eyeballs are just fine with the large font. : )

Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Thanks Jim.  I am one of those oddball or nutty users who must read through the entire technet article and wonder to myself.  I will continue to use Windows Live One Care.  BTW, how do you like Kaspersky and other antivirus products or are they all being so pro-active as to being constantly bombarding users with false positives like AVG 8, Adaware SE, Avast which thought yahoo.com had a vulnerability which I guess could be possible in this day and age, Norton (way too bloated for my tastes -- new versions show down systems too much)  I don't know if older Norton products that were mean and lean are still being supported  I remember I really liked GoBack but I don't know if it has any support or is still good.  I appreciate all of your help in these matters of keeping safe and secure on the Internet.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:44 AM